Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

High Rolls and Average rolls - The numbers 10 and 15 (and maybe 5)

When rolling a dice in URealms, the number you get fall into one of 5 or 6 categories. Critical Failures, Low Rolls, High Rolls, Critical Hits and Average Rolls and in some scenarios, it matters whether the result is above or below average. Like some times, when the dice is cocked between 2 numbers, and a GM decides to make the reroll decide which of the 2 numbers the dice was cocked between gets picked, where an above average roll makes it pick the higher roll and vice versa.

Some rolls seem universally agreed upon, as they're simplistic and don't really ruin a balance.
1 is a Critical Failure.
2, 3, 4 and 5 are Low Rolls.
6, 7, 8 and 9 are Below Average Rolls.
11, 12, 13 and 14 are Above Average Rolls.
16, 17, 18 and 19 are High Rolls.
And of course, a 20 is a Critical Hit.

That leaves us with a question of what do we do with 10 and 15? Well, even though there is a correct a mathematical way that gives us just as many high roll numbers as low roll numbers and just as many below average numbers as above average numbers, it's not very easy for some to remember on the spot when it comes to some numbers.

If we count 10 as a below average roll and  15 as just an above average roll, then we have 4 low and high roll numbers and 5 above and below average numbers, but there's not really any simple rules for remembering that on the fly. I guess you can set a rule in your mind that if there is a 5, you roll down, but that goes against mathematical rounding, where 5 is a number that rounds up to the nearest 10. We also can't just use the fact that the 10 is a 2-digit number to remember what it should be.

If we count 10 as an above average number and 15 as a high roll, then we can use some rules to more easily remember what is a high roll or above/below average. If it has 2 digits, it's above average and if the number has a 5 in it, it's not an average roll. This does weigh the dice more in favor of good results, but I don't think many players would mind that since it's fun to roll better and the chance of the most exciting rolls, 1 and 20, are what matters the most when it comes to trivializing great moments.

But what do you guys think? Do you prefer the more mathematical balanced way between high and low rolls or do you decide in a way that's more easy to remember?

Comments

• I just see 2, 3, 4 and 5 as "Low", 6 through to 15 as "Average" or "Decent" and 16, 17, 18 and 19 as "High". 1 and 20 obviously being crits. This way you have a 1/4 chance of failing. 1/4 chance of doing really good. (I'm including crits in those) and a 1/2 chance of just doing alright.
  • edited December 2018
    Theres a color system for it crit fails are red low rolls are orange average rolls are blue high rolls are light blue and crits are green
  • Personally i see 10 - 14 as average rolls, 6-9 as meh rolls, 15-19 as high rolls. So if a card has an Average roll affect, it only applys on 10 or higher. so on a meh roll i can make it so the spell deals reduced damage or effects - like on a 6, you're fireball hits, but only deals 20 damage instead of 25. Or if you sprint, you only sprint 7 spaces on a 7, or sprint 15 spaces on a 19 and 20 on a 20.
  • It really is whatever the DM decides tbh. I don't think there's any "correct" chart.