Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Closet fan?

Hey all. I'm curious if any of you are closet fans orf urealms? There is no shame on my behalf.The problem is, I can find it extremely exauhsting explaining it to people at home or the girls on my floor. I feel as though people are witnessing a cancerous tumor growing on my face as I exaplain the joy of Urealms.

Comments

• edited May 2018
    I'm at a point in my life where I don't necessarily need to be a closet fan of anything due to the people I'm surrounded by. Though I understand it's a privilege. It's probably easier to do that as an adult. 

I do have to explain it when I mention it usually. I describe it as a casual D&D type game done as a live show with animated puppets and cut scenes. Funny and awesome. People don't necessarily need to understand it unless they want to watch it. 
  • It's a very niche thing, I really never expect anyone I know to be interested in the show. So technically yeah.
  • The people I hang with wouldn't mesh with this show's humor, so I feel like it's a guilty pleasure sometimes, even though it's anything but
  • Can't help but be one. The "joys" of not living in the anglosphere.
  • Yeah, I would never tell anyone I know about it in real life, the combination of the prevalence of big-breasted anime girls and the fact that I would be admitting to watching over 200 hours of content is a bit much for me.
  • My parents are pretty chill, but even if they weren't, they don't really understand English well enough or have the interest to look through to see if URealms is appropriate or not. Besides, I'm pretty much adult now, so they probably wouldn't mind even if they saw all the horrible things about URealms. And at school, a lot of people are pretty into Tabletop RPG's, so they'd most likely at least understand the appeal.

So I've told my friends and family about what URealms entails, but no one's seen any of it, for all I know.
  • I have tried to get one friend to watch the show in the past, but they just never did. I know one person on my steam friends list that I added because they were friends with my other real life friends on steam and apparently went to my high school a few years prior and they had a sir schmoopy profile picture. 

Outside of that its not really a part of my social life.
  • Though once I did get one friend into it and they wouldn't stop singing "fuck the kobolds"
  • I've told most of my internet friends about it but i don't talk about it much irl, i've gotten one of my dnd friends into it and sometimes during sessions we'll share an in-joke that the other players don't understand
  • "whats urealms?"

"its this weird but cool internet show where a bunch of people roleplay with puppets live. improv comedy meets dungeons and dragons."

• I guess I could technically count as a closet fan. Not because I don't feel comfortable talking about the show with my friends, but rather because I rarely ever actually get a chance to explain it to any of them. The most I find I can usually do is give a quick synopsis to some of my friends if they seem interested in this kind of thing (Some of us play D&D) and maybe point them toward the series if they're considering watching.
  • It's tough becuase part of the magic of the show is how niche it is but that also means none of my friends know what it is. It also takes a really long time to get into. I made the mistake of bringing it up in english class when we were all asked about shows we like. I still get comments along the lines of "The episodes are six hours?"
  • @Rob ; i try to explain that but being a 24 yr old bro in a recording studio. you loose credit and just end up keeping it to yourself and watching on phone lol
  • It's not a closet fan if they never ask :wink: 
  • I was for a super long time, then I finally convinced a couple of friends to sit down and actually play the system. Now we are 5 or 6 campaigns in with pages of notes about original characters and lore. It took a fair while to get there though. I always explain it as a super simple, laid back version of DnD. That tends to work
  • i have actively tried to encourage friends to watch the show, but i have run in to two problems,
    1.  i'm Swedish so not all my friends are as good with English has i am,
    2. the few friends i have that tried getting in to the show felt it was to much to catch up with.
    hopefully the nader's unforgotten tails will make it easier for them to get in to the show.
    but until there is more episodes of nader's tails i think i will just hide here in the Closet, biding my time
  • How is being a fan of this any different from being a fan of Critical Role or TAZ or any of the dozens of DND podcasts out there? Those are all mainstream now (especially if you're in a girls' dorm- at least one person on your floor is watching one or several of them), and even if they weren't, there's no reason to be ashamed of liking this or any of this type of content. It's the best way to explain it, too: "it's kinda like watching dnd, but homebrew and sometimes there's animations."

There's no shame in liking something, especially something relatively benign like this. Just because it's relatively small doesn't mean it's not a very popular trend right now (honestly I'm surprised it doesn't have a larger following on social media considering how TAZ and CR are doing live shows that sell out months in advance), and there's animated shorts/Nader's Tales if you really want to show what it is instead of compare it to other shows. But don't look at it like you're being forced to hide it. There's only two outcomes: They like it, or they don't. Everything else is on them.