Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Custom Class: Mathemagician

I wanted to work on a support-like class that works more like a disruptor and crowd control class.  This is what I ended up with.  I hope you enjoy it, it took me a while to come up with some of these moves too :p

The initial idea spawned from the spells, Even the Odds, Three's A Crowd, Foursful Strike, and High Five, and it just evolved from there.  I'm particularly hoping that the shield isn't too powerful, but it's something that I feel like that ties the class together.

custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card

custom card

"This work falls under the CC BY 4.0 License and can be used and edited freely as long as you provide credit!"

Comments

• SO MANY PUNS!
  • The amount of puns, there's more here than in Sausage Party
  • What can I say?  I'm a Pungeon Master.

That being said, I would also appreciate some non-pun related feedback about the class.  Is there anything that anyone feels either needs buffed or nerfed or reworded?
  • Modulus - combat is sure to go faster. let's say you have 5 damage and it's doubled. you can take a decent opponent out of the fight for 5 rounds. if you deal 10 damage doubled, it's 10 rounds instead, and crits mean you won't see them for three hours. either way, the fight is going to be over by the time they've come back. this is essentially an insta-kill without the kill
    Multi Pilers - wait what you can double a double? okay i'm buying another weapon and modulus!
    Addishield - if you buy this and use it frequently, all your abilities, especially your limiteds, WILL BECOME FUCKING INSANE

There is my honest feedback, I don't really have anything else to say.
  • I feel like that the Addishield is balanced as is, because it takes High rolls to successfully block an attack to begin with.  In addition, unless you block some really large attacks, most attacks will only add 1 maybe 2 to the counter tops.  Unless you've been saving up on them, I really don't think that seeing 9 (the max) is going to happen.  It's specifically made to tailor to the low chances of Mathmagician's more specific abilities.  I've been thinking of raising the price though from 100 to 200 due to how powerful an ability it could potentially be. 

As far as Modulus goes, yeah, I agree.  I thought about rewording it to where it only takes them out of combat for maybe 2 rounds, maybe 3 on a crit + insanity.
  • For Modulus, if someone's insane I think it makes a bit more sense to have them just attack the nearest person to them rather than be anti-party because anti-party implies attacking allies, but insane sounds like they would just attack everything in sight even a lamp post.
  • Well at least we know you're a math teacher, or at least studying to become one.
  • @cyberohero ;
    while this is actually really good, balanced, and seems nice all around, you need to keep in mind rawb has said it himself that he wants to keep math relatively out of this, I'd honestly suggest moving most the cards into  even/odds or high/low rolls if you want to keep it simple compared to most of the current urealms stuff, also Even the Odds seems very difficult for a GM to keep track of, just something to keep in mind
  • The amount of puns is hilarious for anyone who is even remotely involved in math. 

MathMagician, Mathematician, eh? Eh?

It made me laugh.

And while I agree this would NEVER be an actual class(MathSux), I love the idea. Maybe used in personal games, with people who also know math?
  • edited May 2017
    @LinearPoint, you definitely have a good point about that, yeah, insanity would probably breed attacking all rather than just anti-party.  The idea is that so much knowledge has entered into you that you no are basically unable to process anything and just go insane.

@OlympianHeros - unfortunately I am only a math enthusiast.  I'm a computer programmer, but math has always been a passion of mine.

@TwelvekKittens and @Ninjathis yeah, I'm afraid that that is the major difference between Rawb and myself.  I like math enough to not really care about calculating things, but I understand why people would. Though truth be told, Evening the odds has went through so many iterations I don't know why I ended up with what I did.
  • Made a few changes, and completely reworked Even the Odds as I just hated what it did, so hoping this one works a lot better.
  • Funnily enough, I remember seeing someone make an entirely different version of this class back on the subreddit a long time ago. Great minds think a like, as they say.
  • This is a very interesting Class, I must say. Maybe a bit broken, but very cool none the less.

My only suggestion would be to change the name from Mathemagician to Pythagorean, as they were basically Religious Mathematicians. They literally worshiped numbers. And yes, they were founded by the legendary Pythagoras.
  • @friskyBrisky I knew about Numerology, but not about Pythagoreanism.  That being said, I think I will stick with Mathemagician mostly because it sounds closer to a class in a class-based system, but damn, I'm gonna have to make a Cleric and say that they're a Pythagorean.

@Azurillkirby who is this person so I can hunt them down and subtract them from this equation? :P:P:P
  • Very cool but feels a bit wordy still very cool though.
  • @cyberohero Maybe you could make the Pythagorean's the Organization for Mathemagicians? Maybe even call them Pithagoreans? :peace: