Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

I need another way to make maps besides photoshop

So I have been using photoshop recently to make maps and I don't want to pay for it, so does anyone know any way to make the maps on a free program like photoshop?

Comments

• I've never touched it, but I hear GIMP (which is free) is very similar to Photoshop.
  • PaintDotNet has a very good suite of features. It doesn't have everything that Adobe Creative Suite has. But for your purposes it may be sufficient.

GIMP is a GNU licensed (open source, public domain) alternative as well. Similar to Paint. But more robustly supported for non windows operating systems. I prefer paint, but I have both installed on my windows OS.

I've seen some digital artists recommend some other free alternatives as well. Specifically for digital painting purposes. I don't remember what they are, because I have no experience with them. So I can't comment on their efficacy.
  • Personally, I find GIMP just as good as Photoshop for maps.
    Of course, there is always the other alternative of requesting a map in the custom assets section.
  • I like to use gimp. Its free and fairly easy to get the hang of.
  • Gimp is the thing to use.
  • I use Krita myself, preferring the drawing style in it over GIMP. GIMP is still good ofc:)
  • I use the Warcrfaft 3 map editor to make a map and then i finish it using Gimp.
    Sometimes i also just make a background for the table using this methode and then use 3D models which i found on the steam workshop to build a map.
  • I know I'm late to the party but I would suggest Pyromancers. They are free for all the basic needs and from what I have used of it, it works rather well. 
  • @Blizta oo  that's a good idea and gives me an excuse  to buy the game again. I was also toying  with the spore map editor  and the  total Warhammer one but they both have some problems 
  • Fire Alpaca is a good drawing program
  • I'll throw my hat in the Paint.net pile. Used to do it all the time as a wee lad making sprite/pixel comics. I still use it fron tine to time for things I can't/won't user ClipArt for.