Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Favorite books?

I don't see anyone talking about books, so might as well start the conversation.

Comments

• edited October 2017
    One of my favorite books, that I read when I was little, was called Perloo the Bold.
  • My favorite book is Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Really looking forward to the 3rd book in a couple weeks
  • Eragon series, LoTR, and Battlefield Earth. Battlefield Earth, while having the reputation for being one of the worst sci-fi movies ever made, is incredible in book form. I actively fucking cheered for Johnny Tyler as he progressed.
  • I've read this really nice graphic novel lately called Nimona, good read if you like the hero/villain dynamic explored from the villain's side, good art too.
    You can read the first few chapters here
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

• Gotta say some books I look fondly back at was the Airborne series by Kenneth Oppel. I actually started with the 2nd book in the series, but I wasn't too lost, and the 1st felt like a sequel prequel kinda deal. I remember it fondly, no idea if it holds up to time.
  • edited October 2017
    Halo: Contact Harvest was a surprisingly good book. It was the first Halo novel I gave a chance and didn't expect much, but I loved it in the end. My favorite by far, which is surprising considering how big of a fan of Eric Nylund I've become (again thanks to the Halo books). Contact Harvest remains #1 for me.

Then again, it has Sgt. Johnson in it.... so it kinda wins by default. (Halo: The Flood also had Johnson but... yeah, not the best Halo book.)
  • The Passage by Justin Cronin
  • Speaking of Brandon Sanderson, the Mistborn series is pretty good as well. I'm currently reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Guin I don't know how I feel about it yet, I've only read one chapter.
  • The Eragon series is my favorite as well. Too bad that the movie of it that doesn't exist is terrible trash on fire. @Flavor_Town_Reloaded
  • I'm not the biggest fan of fiction literature; as a pre-teen/teen, I'd read textbooks over reading fictional novels. However, two novels I thouroughly enjoyed are written by Australian Novelist Markus Zusak; The Messanger and (especially) The Book Thief, and I recommend both novels to anyone who asks.

Also, I suggest the works of H.P. Lovecraft, because the ideas in the Novels are great, and the atmosphere is perfect. Shame Lovecraft wasn't a good person, though.
  • @friskyBrisky If you enjoyed Lovecraft, then you might enjoy reading some of Jonathan L. Howard's novels.  In particular those of the 'Johannes Cabal' series, which took a lot of inspiration from Lovecraft's works.  Howard does a good job of building upon the worlds, and ideas of Lovecraft while adding in his own brand of dry humor.  I just finished reading the 5th book from the series and it was fantastic.  Highly recommend the series to anyone looking for a good read.
  • Really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, (The stupid Movie was total garbage...)
  • Favorite is the Name of the Wind/Wise Man's Fear. Theyre both part of the same series and are by Patrick Rothfuss. I believe it was Meganzoor(?) who said she was reading it recently on twitter and it got me super excited again and I re-read the series. I recently read Way of Kings too which was also just fantastic and am super excited for the 3rd book which is really soon. 
  • edited October 2017
    Catch 22, White Fang, Black Beauty, Kingkiller Chronicles books, Legend of the Sun Knight, Kill No More, and A Song of Ice and Fire.
  • One of my favourite series is The Elven by Bernhard Hennen. 
  • edited October 2017
    I really enjoyed the Lorien legacy series ( the first book was" I am Number Four") by Pittacus Lore. And I really enjoyed reading Rick Riordan books. For example "Percy Jackson" and "The Heroes of Olympus" and "TheTrail of Apollo" series. And finally, i really like ready the martian. In mine opinion, the book was better than the movie
  • Overlord, the anime might not be all that great due to being rushed and having a low budget.
    But the story is amazing. The characters are loveable and hateable at the same time. It has a HUGE world and a metric ton of weird creatures. AND FANTASY POLITICS, which are way better than IRL politics (mostly because magic).
  • ASOIAF continues to be my favorite series. The fantasy politics, languages, conflict and motherfucking dragons continue to excite and delight. My favorite novel is called Lilac Girls, and it covers WW2 and a bit after from the perspective of an American socialite, a Polish girl sent to a concentration camp, and a female nazi doctor. I really liked the characterization, and I highly recommend it. My favorite nonfiction book is "The Dictator's Handbook", which is mostly a political text, but it's not biased towards either party, it's simply answering why being corrupt is good politically, and how democracies and dictatorships are alike. It was a super interesting book that definitely changed some of my perspectives. My favorite young-adult series (which, I don't read YA fiction anymore, but this is an exception) is Harry Potter, solely for nostalgia. And my favorite HP book is the Half-Blood Prince :)
  • Oo Candide or Mothernight by Vonnegut.
  • @cpMetis but Eric didn't write contact harvest. he s defiantly my favorite of the halo authors tho :)
    I love the book ghosts of onyx.

• @ItsjustAvy Oh yeah...

I started with Ghosts of Onix and changed my mind. I forgot to remove the part about Nylund... damn. Fixed!
  • whats a book?
  • My favorite book is Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. 

Actually... it's been awhile since I've re-read that book. Gonna have to put it on my list to read! 
  • @cpMetis Its a shame he didn't get to write the follow up to ghosts of onyx :(
  • The ASOIAF Series and anything written by John Grisham.
  • @Todd I love the Kingkiller Chronicle such a great series, (Its truly magical) can't wait for book 3!

I've also been reading The Lunar Chronicles and it is a fantasic futuristic dystopian teen series. I also recently read Ready Player One (also takes place in the future) and I think everyone should read it before the movie comes out because the writing is really good. It's one of my favourites. :dank:

I'm a big fan of fantasy books, stuff with magic or futuristic societies, I like when the story is some kind of adventure and I like a LITTLE bit of romance, but not when the story is only about the romance. If anyone wants to see what I'm reading add me on Goodreads! my username on there is Meganzoor.
  • Pleasure reading: A Song of Ice and Fire (Storm of Swords specifically, damn that was a great one). 

Literary book: The Picture of Dorian Gray. I interpret the book a bit different than most people, I believe, but I still love it. Oscar Wilde was a sassy gay boy and was great in a not-great time.
  • @Spacewalker I enjoyed every single Legacy book expect for the very last one. The ending just felt way too rushed. The newest one he made is pretty decent though. It's about the (spoiler)
    New generation of garde on earth after the war.

• Anything by Brandon Sanderson