Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Hexer- A URealms Custom Class

Hey all,

A few months ago, I made a custom class in a fan discord, but I forgot about it soon after. Since I've rediscovered it, I figured I may as well post it here with some commentary. If you don't care for commentary, I've included all card links organised just below. Introducing- the Hexer.

custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card

custom card

The basic concept of this class is hexes. Hexes are much like status effects in-game: Each round, the opponent may roll to clear the hex, and will succeed on average rolls or higher. If they fail, the hexes stack in damage each round, reaching potentially deadly levels while you control or benefit from the hex. Each hex that states that its effects increase at the start of each round, deal that damage at the start of its round. Much of the inspiration from this class came from the Thane, Witch and Runemaster classes. I made this class with an interest in combos supported by mechanics, which I see as a new and fun part of URealms in season 3.

custom card

Took direct inspiration from the Thane's Siffiran Silver Hammer for this weapon. Arcane Hex Staff gives some room for how hexes are put on a foe- with it, your hexes are more powerful and you can also do additional basic attack damage. Additionally, this staff is made to combo with Dark Stance- taking Dark Stance and using it means that you can not only parry a foe, but hit them with a no-roll basic attack, which activates one of the three hexes that Arcane Hex Staff can cast. If you don't take Dark Stance, this is still a neat little weapon for pure hexers. Additionally, it may bog down enemies by sapping their anytimes to clear bad hexes quickly.

custom card

Dark Stance is very similar to the Petalwalker ability Flowing Stance, and the Warrior ability Shield Stance. the difference here is how it works into the Hexer class- the assumption is that you're parrying with your Arcane Hex Staff, and get a bonus action to inflict hexes on opponents. This is useful if you're dealing with multiple foes all at once. If you don't have the staff, this ability is still useful.

custom card

Hex of Punishment can be used in a pinch along with Dark Stance or Transfer Hex. Plenty of good, or just plain funny combos that you can inflict on a foe with this hex.

custom card

Similar to Mudshot in its ability, Hex of Grounding is a good ability for battlefield control. Combined with A Sandbender and a Lumberjack, Hex of Grounding can be a very powerful ability indeed. If this ability can be taken to 9 spaces, you've effectively trapped your opponent.

custom card

The most powerful ability in terms of damage. Not much damage is done at first, but depending on the opponents rolls, it can get painful real quick. If you were to augment this with Curse Hex immediately after a Hex of Sapping, the damage dealt at the start of next round would be 60- 15 from the initial hex, 15 from the damage at the start of the round, and 30 from the two rounds of curse.

custom card

A fun little ability I added to mix up the way that the Hexer can deal damage. The Hexer can focus on taking down one target with multiple hexes, or they can start dealing damage to all foes with Transfer Hex. The damage or other harms inflicted will continue to tick up at the start of every round, so focusing on one hex and flipping it to foes each round is a viable strategy. Be warned though- hexes break on the death of the inflicted foe.

custom card

Curse Hex can be applied to any hex that ticks up in its affects- Suredoom, Slaying, Sapping, etc. there's a lot of strategic choice involved with this one, so use it wisely!

custom card

This works with both focusing on killing one person, or flipping hexes around to different targets- because the focused hex will still only be cleared with a natural 20. Focus Hex is an interesting card I thought to throw in the mix. It's hard to clear, and a Hexer focused on one damaging hex will see his damage go out of control quickly- but too much damage can kill a foe right away, breaking the hex.

custom card

As a GM, you could play around with the wording of this ability. The last sentence I took straight from Bewitching Mirror. You can interpret this in a few ways- large tiles and powerful characters could not need as high a roll to clear it, Focus Hex may only increase it to high or average rolls, the rolls may only go up every two rounds, etc. Death rolls are naturally powerful, which is why this spell's effects happen at the end of the round as opposed to the start. The foe may clear it immediately. If he doesn't, and subsequently fails to afterwards, Hex of Slaying only gets more and more painful.

custom card

Not much to say here. I find the aesthetic of Dark Stancing with Arcane Hex Staff > Hex of Force and pushing everyone attacking you away a few spaces to be kind of funny.

custom card

One of my favourite abilities. Combined with Curse and Transfer hex, you can go full-blown luck mage.

custom card

Thanks to FumBungo for giving me feedback on a bunch of these. I had thought about turning Hex Protection into a 100/200 gold passive where everyone in your party is protect from hexes, but I decided it wouldn't be practical since the gold total of these cards I thought should hit about the same as other 600 gold classes, about in the 1000 limits.

And that's the Hexer class. I have some other class ideas I may post from time to time, but don't quote me on that. Feedback is always appreciated, and feel free to use this in your games if you like. I personally enjoy making classes that are mechanically sound, and some of my favourite classes play off of these themes- Lumberjack, Seeker, Bandito, etc.

This work falls under the CC BY 4.0 License and can be used and edited freely as long as you provide credit!

Comments