Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Azeltarian legendary beast forms

If an azeltarian were to have a legendary beast form, like welpling or highbear, would all the passives be replaced, or just one? For example the welpling has 3 passives. Mammoth, divine scales, and enrage. Would AZ warrior replace all three or one? If not all three would it be up to the player or dm?

• edited January 10
    @Viizko Although the card does just say "the passive" I think it means replace all of 'em, although personally I'd maybe give the character their beast-form's passive(s) depending on what it is if it makes sense in a half-breed type of way.
  • @UnluckyBimi I make characters for the fun of it, and when I was making an azeltarian/warrior I drew welpling as my beast form. Personally if I were GM I would allow my players to keep at least one passive of their choice. To make their character OP
  • @Viizko ; tbh you could just buy stuff to make you op if you got whelpling and no passive
  • @helperbot0613 your not wrong. But personally I feel I would let them be overpowered because their luck earned them it maybe penalize them because of the strength? Maybe during transformation you would deathroll, but on a 1 instead of dying you go feral or something?
  • edited January 10
    If you have to stay the Whelpling in order to be able to transform into one then surely you have the power needed to control it.

Personally, if I made to make that kind of roll during transformation (that is, for each of the 50 times you transform during the campaign) then I'm probably screwed by the second battle and would just flat out ignore the Whelpling choice.

The passives, however, are either ridiculous or overpowered to have (Enrage is useless, Mammoth quadruples stamina, and Divine Scales is yet another Bonus Action on an enemy's low roll), and you can easily live without them.

Even without these passives, you could easily play an Azveltarian with nothing but Whelpling abilities, because you will end up with:
    -Immunity to all Status Effects
    -A Limited, 99 Damage, multi-Target Ability
    -An interrupt Ability that deals 25 Damage AND induces a Critical Failure
    -A damaging cleave Ability with extreme knockback
    -A powerful Death Roll ability used against Targets in Danger, or on dead Targets to fully restored Stamina
    -The Ability to use any of the three Regular Abilities above as a No-Roll Action, whenever you move
    -A permanent ban from the Fighting Power Tournament

But if you killed that Whelpling all on your own, then you deserve all of it.
  • @knguy I suppose your right. But the way I was seeing it, and mind you a different perspective. I was making a character with the typical anime style in mind, edgelord. The man was supposed to be relatively evil and always taking everyone for granted power wise. He used a dragon hunting group to help him weaken the dragon, then stole its power and killed the group. He wasn't supposed to be a good person. He was constantly looking for more power to be the strongest. So he was punished with strength, giving him the ability to only transform to and back once a day and not allowing him to use the full power without transforming. When he does transform he has to deathroll to see if the power finally breaks him. If I remember correctly, Quintana lotus showed Lyn how to use this magic. Meaning a dragon taught an elf how to forcibly steal the power of animals for fighting purposes. So it would make sense that a dragons power would be a little to much for a mortal.

So essentially I guess it would be a self placed cripple? I was going to link the character build, but its gone somehow
  • @Viizko However, it's a whelpling and not an actual dragon. (Since Whelplings appeared to be unable to use creation magic, hence why they're not proper dragons; yet). - With Azveltarians, I imagine it's just proving to the beast you're stronger (since most don't really think, they keep to instincts and what-not) and essentially its' "alpha" and that's what allows you to take its' power more-so than forcibly steal. (Although depending on interpretation, still is stealing).
  • @UnluckyBimi well. Welplings aren't mindless beasts, according to the welpling companion card, they essentially learn as they get older. They are babies or toddlers. Not mindless beasts, but ignorant children. They probably have the ability to use creation magic but not the know how or spells for it. This isn't cannon or not, we don't have confirmation either way until a divine tells us so, as they would be the only ones to truly know one way or the other. Would you expect a toddler to know how to cook a thanksgiving dinner?(really struggled with that, its hard to dumb down the concept of creating anything for a simple comparison example) the real problem here is the dragon aspects kill welplings before they grow old enough to start to use creation magic, if they find their offspring to be unsuited for godhood. But asaid from that, I don't think a mortal body could properly maintain the power of a potential god. They may be slayable "beasts" but they have the potential for godhood. Its just essentially locked away. Either way, would the divines allow a mortal to hold dragon power without being chosen for it?
  • I think it was mentioned during Unexpected Discovery that whelplings are as mindless as James... at least until branded with the Sigil of Flame. This may not be true still, but it must have some kind of truth to it.

Seems however, that Whelplings aren't so mindless if they are able to become companions (especially with a passive like Enrage), but who knows what that could be a result of? Magic beyond the understanding of most, perhaps?
  • @knguy that's why the only answers I see being 100% accurate would be from the gods themselves. Even a dragon researcher cant be exactly right, as the magic behind dragons is difficult to comprehend.