Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Alternate Status Effects

Are you in need of more lasting status effects, or want something with a more unique impact in combat? Well, I might have just the thing for you. Take a look at the variety I've attempted to add below - various alternate forms of the six Status Effects which are great to have on bosses, or even on advanced custom cards for the player's usage!

Keep in mind that Super Status Effects, which ignore immunities, can be utilized. Plus, you can always combine multiple Status Effects into one super powerful status to create a tougher combat experience for players.

Poisoned
custom card
custom card
custom card

Frozen
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card

Blinded
custom card
custom card

Burning
custom card
custom card

Silenced
custom card
custom card

Charmed
custom card
custom card
custom card

Stunned
custom card
custom card
custom card
custom card

If you have suggestions for extra spicy alternate forms of the six Status Effects, bring 'em in and they'll be thrown onto the list with your name next to them!

Comments

• Hey, these are really well thought out! Definitely good if you want to add a lot of complexity to your campaigns. Good job, I especially liked the descriptions on these; they add a nice flavor to it.
  • Yeah, that was great! All I want now is some composites, like a 'Burning and Poisoned' extra effect or something, but this is amazing!
    I'd also like to congratulate you on having no noticeable grammar or spelling mistakes in your cards, you get every single cookie.
  • These are really good! i created a my own status a while ago (custom card), it might not be the best, and could use rewording. don't know which of the six base it would fit under, but i want to throw my hat in to the ring.
  • @MrCharmy - Thanks, complexity and difficulty are definitely the directions I want these fellas going in! As for the flavor text, I've been doing it ever since I learned <LORE> existed. Even if I don't have anything good to add I can't help doing it anyways.

@KaeawynShifter - I do try to avoid grammar mistakes at all times when doing cards, gotta be prepared for the unlikely event someone wants to use them without people asking all kinds of questions about interpretation. And I believe composite effects are already a thing but they can't both be shown like once. Cards like Blood Bend and Paralyze are just a couple abilities that have multi-status effects.

@scooter0427 - Damage over time is a classic status effect, and while I don't personally use them I can tell you they apply to all kinds of elements. I would consider Bleeding to be a purely physical effect that has a hard time finding a home under any of the current status effects, but poison and burning (and perhaps some of the others as well) are also capable of utilizing damage over time effects.
    There was a lot of generic effects I could've added into these alternate status effects, like "doesn't go away until next round", "damage over time", and so on but I tried my best to avoid those because they can in fact apply to almost all of the statuses in the game.

One thing I really wanted to do was add text-sized icons to some of these just for convenience or fun (would also be super useful for forum-roleplaying and tracking stuff) - for example, icons from the web game World's End or the game Darkest Dungeon - but sadly they show up super big and weird-looking. Maybe one day, hmm?
  • Dude, these are really cool. The whole idea is really cool! Although I don't like a few of them myself.

I might implement something like this into UForums.
  • How did you make the text all gray

• @Sgtslow <LORE> before the text you want grey
  • @friskyBrisky - admittedly some of these alternate effects are useless or most likely leave a bad taste for players who forget what their status effect does, accidentally fucking themselves in the process

Still, I haven't really got any more ideas at the moment, other than the more generic variety. Perhaps you might have something to add?
  • nice effects, but don't think they are needed in urealms. it becomes just unnecessarily complicated, a gm wants things to be relatively smooth and not ladder to much. laddering being when something have a bunch of extra steps, it can easily lead to things going slower and harder to remember. having poison and other effects do one thing is just more efficient as a game mechanic when you play with a set time. but they are otherwise nice. would work well in a more realistic long running champion style of game.
  • @LexderMob - Understandable. I'd probably stay vanilla myself, but this is for those groups of people who feel like they really need (and can handle) such complexity in their games.

What I've done alternatively is stick some of these effects into the custom abilities I make, though it can definitely run across the same complexity issue if it's overdone. Still, I like to think it's kind of like, say, burnagility (which one of the alternate effects is based off of).
  • @knguy Mostly just names; Light Blinded and Dark Blinded (Blindings), Boiling (Burning), Confused (Charming) and Deaf (Silencing). I have to still come up with Gameplay mechanics for these kind of things. :p
  • edited January 16
    i can see that work well, you should probably keep two of these effects per class at most if you do that. as they are the type of things you base the other mechanics of a class around, just as  Puppeteer / Burn Agility is the set up before you start forcing them to move with your other ability's.
  • @friskyBrisky - Oh I might have some names as well, though with many of them (which most are buffs anyway) I have quite the hard time fitting into one of these.

I was thinking of more mental effects this time:
    Terror/Panic might be an alternate form of Stun or Charm as it would effectively prevent them from doing anything helpful for their party. They just run away from the scary and that's mostly it.
    Vendetta might be a more permanent form of Charm (similar to Insane) where it involves aggression against a single target and only wears off when either the Charmed guy is taken down or they take the target of their choice down.

@LexderMob - I may enlist your aid in looking at some of the abilities I've got so far and you telling me how well they work in those classes. I don't necessarily base classes around such things but I think I've made it work a few times.
    I'll get on my PC later, but for example a sexy engineer class which specializes in half actual engineering/strategic magical placement and half libertinage, with a regular ability called 'Lewd Glance' which has the exact effect of the Enamored card I've made. It works out, at least I feel like it does.
  • @knguy ; i can do that for you
  • @LexderMob - alright, that particular class is way over six months old so i'm probably going to refine it and just create that one engineer club thread i was thinking about earlier, linking to every other engineer class in custom cards. guess it'll have to start lewd

This fine thread of mine includes two classes ("Beenu Remnants" and "Missing Traces") that feature similar things to what I have here, though only the bottom one, a non-lethal stealth specialization, can really be said to be based around a single status effect, with a second path as well. It looks like it'll definitely work in theory, at least.