Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Concept of "Knives"

I just found a good DnD post on reddit that explains the concept very well of players giving their GM many things to work with to make good campaigns.

Take no credit, not good enough to write something like this.

EDIT: not good enough to even post a link either.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/775caq/my_friends_and_i_have_something_called_knife/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Comments

• edited October 2017
    For urealms one offs I find characters to bend more to campaigns than the reverse, but I haven't played much.
  • I actually think this is a very succinct way of doing things (although I may vary the number of knives a little, given that shorter campaigns suit the urealms formula than suit dnd). This was a really good find.

I do also think @vonego makes a really good point, as well, not just in urealms, but also in other games. It's just as important to make a character that will fit the game you're playing, even if you have to be creative about how you do it. That being said, it doesn't hurt to give yourself the tools to do that with, and knives are a really good tool for that.
  • I never looked at it that way, but its spot on dude. Something I tend to do tho when it comes to daggerless characters is to have them roll for small things like recognizing people. A simple roll like that can influence the game for the better because now some random no name background npc gets to be a soon to be named background npc that your player has seen before. In that last town you were in.. In that shipyard a few weeks back... That fort you and yoir pals raided. Shit dude, hes one of the bandits from 3 sessions back! Or, does this go back further?
  • I think a lot of these 'knives' in urealms arise from the attributes and cornerstones. Sometimes they just straight up give the characters a secret or a backstory and they always force the players to be more creative in their back stories.
  • Didn't this kind of happen in GPO? When Justin says Fjord was the 12th person to ever hold the Goblet of Mysteries and then Rob mentioned that with Fetchthewater, that's kinda a knife, but a more random and positive thing
  • @Ozoner
    In the context of the post, knives are generally negative, but it's something that gets a character invested, it's a fun callback. It gets the party, and audience laughing, and more invested in what happens.

In Rob's case, he has both knives for the players and audience. It's a show after all, he's gotta make sure he uses knives for us, like the idea that reoccurring characters have a chance to die in serious campaigns.
  • edited October 2017
    If you look at the latest campaign (as of post this was The Purge) Roamins character really didn't have that many knives going into it, the knives that roamin did have though were very "Sharp" (large impact on the character) where as if you look to one of his older characters from season 2's the new crew (the goblins) they had alot of "Dull" Knives (Knivies not as impactful to a character but still helped in development), like general racism against them, disabilities like blindness and deafness, height prejudices, and insanity. I think the cast plays to their knives well and it isn't always about how many knives a character has like the post says.

TL:DR
    Knife quality matters more then the amount
  • There are some tiny knives or perhaps very sharp and deadly forks in just rolling to see if players can swim and likewise actions. 
  • wouldn't this be basically the fate systems 'aspects' which are character traits, both good and bad?