Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

[Prototype] Vehicle-to-Vehicle Combat Rules

!!! THIS IS BY NO MEANS A PERFECT SET OF RULES FOR USE IN VEHICULAR COMBAT SCENARIOS !!

With that gigantic fact out of the way, I have made a set of rules for Vehicles and Vehicle-based combat.

"Woah woah woah wait, First off, what is considered a 'Vehicle' in URealms?"

Glad you asked, nameless voice in my head, a Vehicle in URealms is basically a Vessel of some size that can carry Characters and creatures alike, and has certain capabilities that Characters usually lack, like the ability to swim, for instance (How many times did the URealms Live cast have to death roll every time their character lands in the water?) A boat can be a Vehicle in this case! And sometimes, a Vehicle has it's own story to tell.

- Size Matters with Vehicles - 

Vehicles come in 4 different sizes: Tiny, Small, Large and Huge. In my opinion there has yet to be a Huge Vehicle in URealms live, but I may be wrong. Here are some things to note about size:

The Bigger the Vehicle, the Slower it is - Vehicle size impacts their movement. The speeds for Vehicles start at 5 (Tiny) and usually drop to 2 (Huge), although they are capable of going higher and lower.
Vehicles have their own scale - Mostly Vehicles have their own layout and map and everything - think of The Bocoe or Virgo Sunsword's (Former) ship. Usually they have them for the Characters to move around in, and that's still fine! But Vehicles are usually faster than Characters on foot (and sometimes Groundbold), and they need their own tiles to represent them in a larger-scale map. Large and Huge Vehicles in a larger-scale map must be Large Tiles.

Something important to keep in mind is that Module Card ranges are in the HIGHER SCALE range, so when firing a Vehicle's weapon in Character-scale maps, double the range of the module. Vehicles are supposed to be deadlier than characters, after all!

- Modules are what makes up the capabilities of a Vehicle -

Modules come in two categories: Light and Heavy. You could argue that they are Small and Large, but that will cause confusion with the Vehicle sizes. Each Vehicle could have the capability of carrying a certain amount of these modules, and sometimes the Vehicles themselves will have special abilities!

Modules vary heavily (and sometimes lightly!)- they could be internal modifications like Hull refits or Engine replacements, they could be spatial additions like Storage space, Potion breweries or an additional crew quarters, and then they could be things like exterior decorations and - rather important here - WEAPONS.

Each Module strengthens the Vehicle in a certain way, but in combat they CAN be disabled and/or destroyed outright, crippling a Vehicle. It will be up to the crew to try and fix their Vehicle (Boat, Wagon or Otherwise) before it gets destroyed!

- Vehicles have their own "Stamina" -

This one is a little more tricky, Vehicles also have an arbitrary number that determines their well-being. It's called Integrity. Integrity is like Stamina in the fact that it represents a Vehicle's overall condition. There are notable differences, however - If a Vehicle's Integrity is at or below 0, it has to make its own death roll (hereafter referred to as an "Integrity Check"), but it does not go back to full integrity after a round, meaning Vehicles cannot technically be "defeated." If a Vehicle fails this Integrity check, the Vehicle is destroyed and there is no getting it back. What happens to the characters aboard that Vehicle that gets destroyed is up to the Gamemaster (Does the Chariot explode and force the characters to brutal death roll? Does the ship sink slowly and allow time for the crew to safely abandon ship?)

Keep in mind it should be rather difficult to get a spell/item/module that is capable of repairing Vehicles mid-combat, often Player Characters will have to find Roleplay actions to make a creative quick-fix to their Vehicle. Conversely, just because a Vehicle cannot be defeated does not mean it can't be disabled in some way that will effectively take it out of the combat - if an enemy Vehicle has reached 0 Integrity and has no way of turning the situation around, they can always surrender.

- Vehicular Combat, the REAL rules of engagement! -

And now we get to the good part! Each single vehicle gets to have a move action and a regular action that is shared by all player characters - they must come to an agreement for what they will do with their Vehicle. If they crew separate Vehicles, then that's fine too! Unlike regular characters however, Vehicles DO NOT get any Anytime actions. That is a slot for the people on the Vehicle to fill! Each PC on the ship can use their anytime action to do any variety of actions with their Vehicle, from activating another Module to running around the Vehicle panicking like a headless goblin. It's preferred NOT to do the latter unless there is no other choice.

Vehicle-vs-Vehicle combat sees no changes, but if a Vehicle engages in combat with a Character or Characters, damage is dealt a little differently. See, it is harder for a Character to deal damage to a Vehicle, but easier for a Vehicle to harm a Character. Essentially, damage is halved against Vehicles and doubled against Characters in a Character-vs-Vehicle situation. However, it's not impossible for the Character(s) to win, need I remind you that Modules on a Vehicle can be disabled? Not only that, Characters can actually BOARD enemy Vehicles and try attacking the crew directly, although this is a rather advanced and complex tactic that could stall a campaign if not planned for properly. So be extra careful with Character-vs-Vehicle battles! 

Size still matters with Characters as it does Vehicles. Large Tile Characters deal and take normal damage against Vehicles, whereas Massive Tiles (Like Whelplings or Behemoths) actually do the inverse - Double damage against Vehicles and half damage taken from Vehicles. This is all unless a card says otherwise.

- Vehicle and Module Examples -

All these cards are made in the Card Creator, and as such have a few quirks about them (For example, the Cornerstone Gem is used in an Item card to denote that it is a Module, with a Companion-Mechanical Gem denoting what type of module it is.) None of the Art really matters, they are just working prototypes for this Vehicle/Module system.

Some examples for basic Vehicles that may or may not have been seen in URealms Live are as follows:

Some examples for some crazy-ass vehicles that may or may not make it to Canon are as follows:

Some examples for Modules to be placed on Vehicles are as follows:

================================================
"This work falls under the CC BY 4.0 License and can be used and edited freely as long as you provide credit!"

It doesn't matter to me if Rob uses these rules in a future URealms Live campaign or not, I just want to support Vehicles in URealms in some way.

I am also open to feedback and suggestions, just as long as it is respectful.

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Oh yeah a few more things...

- On the subject of NPC-controlled Vehicles -

It will be very hard to keep track of EVERY anytime action for EVERY character, especially on Vehicles with more than 4 crew onboard, so to simplify combats, Gamemasters are encouraged to come up with a way to lessen the amount of anytimes on NPC-controlled Vehicles.

One way that I came up with is this: Every 2 weak characters (Jimmies, Cartel Goons, Ageless Thralls) gives a single Anytime action, every 2 Minor characters (Returning PC characters like Sergio, Gracias and Borracho for example) gives a set of 3 Anytime actions, and any Major character (Gwenyth, Bruce, Bopen, etc.) is treated as normal.

- Vehicles on Character Creation -

Some campaigns may want you to have a Vehicle that is owned by one or more characters for independent travel to further away places. You don't need to roll anything for the amount of Gold put into this, The party gets 200 gold to start off in a "Vehicle Pool" used just for the purchasing of a Vehicle and its modules, HOWEVER THE AMOUNT OF GOLD THAT WAS ROLLED ON CHARACTER CREATION IS DUPLICATED INTO THE POOL FOR PURCHASING VEHICLES AND MODULES! Vehicle shops, or "Garages/Scrapyards," usually contain a selection of 4 Vehicles, 6 Light Modules and 6 Heavy Modules, which refill when purchased. Place purchased Vehicles and Modules in a safe place, probably create another board in TTS and lock it in place if you really need extra space.

Special rules - Gnomes have twice their rolled gold duplicated into the Vehicle pool, and Keens retain their triple gold for Purchasing Vehicles and Modules (This means the rolled total is also tripled for their additions to the Vehicle pool.) They're Gnomes, so they specialize in this stuff!

- Additional Clarifications -

• Heavy Modules can only go in a Large Storage Module and NOT Two Small Storage Modules. Not even if those Small Storage Modules are together.
    • Large Tile Characters count as 2 people for the purpose of passenger (Character) space. Cain can fly on a magic carpet, but he can't fit in a Lighthawk, no matter how much he tried.
    • Large, rideable creatures like Groundbolds are NOT considered vehicles. There may be creative ways to stick a Vehicle Module on them (Elephelk Headcannon!), but Vehicles tend to require characters to operate, and creature mounts can usually function on their own.
    • Usually, Vehicles do not suffer status effects unless it makes sense. Attack a Wagon with a Flamethrower Module and it's going to be Burning no matter what. But how the hell do you "Charm" a Vehicle? With lots of effort, I bet. Super Status effects also affect the crew of the Vehicle, so if a Frigate has been Super Blinded, then anyone onboard that Frigate will also be Blinded, and may have trouble fending off invaders. Careful, invaders already on the Vehicle at the time the status effect is caused will also suffer this status effect!
    • On the subject of Invaders, enemies onboard a Vehicle do not count toward the maximum limit of crew aboard the Vehicle because they are not part of the Vehicle. It will only take effect if the Vehicle has been taken over.
    • Since most of these Vehicles are brand new designs and as of yet do not have a Character-scale map asset, it is alright to use Vehicle tiles sometimes in Character-scale maps. Just be sure to make the size match!
    • More Clarifications will be posted here if I can think of them - and I try to think of everything here...
  • I mean, we did have a train, which might qualify as huge. In terms of boats, Virgo ship would also qualify as huge. Also, you could try to ride a dragon, which would be..... I guess that depends on the size of the dragon.
  • @Dancorps13 ;
    About trains... They technically could be any size, from just their steam engine and PERHAPS a train cab (Tiny) to about 4 or more train cabs (This, in my opinion, is Huge). The Train in Murder Bros. was probably a Large Vehicle, as the Players' Groundbolds were able to catch up with it and it had a notable amount of Elf Guards onboard. The problem is, I do not know how to represent this!

My first idea is that each cab is it's own vehicle and they add weight to the main piece of the vehicle (the engine), making it slower unless modules provide a movement bonus (Mounted Turbo boosters? A better steam engine, perhaps?) This would make sense, each cab has their own integrity and function, and it is modular enough to make the train anything your imagination can come up with. Although I'm not sure this is the best idea...

As for Virgo's ship? I agree, it's Huge, one step higher than a Battleship. Dragons are not Vehicles, but I wouldn't be suprised if Coe (for example) somehow manages to strap on an Arcane Gatling Gun to the underside of one of Vlaurunga's Whelplings. But why bother? They already have built-in Breath weapons! Besides, Large Tile creatures themselves can already be a considerable threat to Vehicles, but maybe I need more thought behind Vehicles vs Large Tile Characters.
  • @RandomCommander
    So as a clarification, since Large Tiles deal normal damage to vehicles, what about Massive Tiles? (Like behemoth bearserk Lunk or a whelpling) Woul they deal double damage to vehicles? Would they just take the normal damage from vehicles?
  • I constantly update these rules since they are a work-in-progress. The newest things will be in Bold-Italics and things that will be removed are crossed out.

@KaeawynShifter
    That's a very good point, we saw the Behemoth be able to rip apart a ship in the most recent campaign, "The Purge," which suggests that massive tiles SHOULD do double damage to vehicles. To balance things out, however, Large tiles have to be changed so they deal and take normal damage from vehicles. I'm not totally sure if this is considered balancing, though...
  • Alright guys, I may have hit a temporary snag in content creation for this Vehicle system - mainly it has to do with art. I do plan on making this a mod on TTS, and I have a good supply of Vehicle and Module cards so I am in no short supply of those. However, what I do need are other art things, like Tiles, a separate board for keeping track of Vehicle status, and possible "Vehicle maps" as assets for character-scale engagement maps (There isn't a map asset for Coasters or Tanks, for example). I have plans for each, but doing this takes a lot of time, and I don't have much free time to work on stuff like this anymore (Real life can do that to you).

I'm not expecting help, but it would be much appreciated regardless. I just wanted to say for those of you who were really looking forward to having Vehicle combat in your own URealms campaigns that it may be a while before this system of rules goes out of the prototype stage.

I am not giving up.