Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

Legacy

The Wish

The ride up was a lot more disappointing than the elf had expected. He had thought maybe he would encounter a portal, possibly some kind of magical hallway. Instead, he was currently sitting on an elevator. Not the most interesting way to travel, but it was still magic, of course. No cables, chains, or pulleys powered this ride. But goddamn if it wasn’t slow. He estimated that he’d been there for several hours, just listening to the hum of magic around him. The last few floors had been surprisingly easy. They weren’t overly complicated or dangerous, as he had come to expect. He guessed that made sense, considering they probably didn’t think about the potential growth of the tower ages ago. The elf himself couldn’t remember when the tower had been built, or who constructed these original floors, despite being older than both of those things. He sighed and lied back on the floor while he waited.
 He saw light at the top of the elevator shaft. Finally. He stood up and dusted himself off as the elevator came to a very gentle halt. He took a deep breath. He was sure that what he wanted would at least interest Quintara Lotus to some extent. Whether she actually granted the wish or not was another story. He walked through the doorway and ended up in a place he was not entirely expecting; but then again he didn’t really know what to expect. He was in a lounge room, with silky curtains and soft beds full of fluffy pillows. There were pleasant smelling candles burning in windowsills. He felt relaxed. There was movement in the far back of the room. He knew who it would be. He walked shakily towards the figure, trying to steady his nerves.
 She sat there across the bed, kicking her legs back and forth with a small pillow under her arms. He had to stop for a moment, and take everything in. She looked exactly as he thought she would. The perfect woman. To him, at least. Aside from the scaley parts of her skin, and the tail flicking across her back. Of course, she had been expecting him.

“ Greetings, elf.” She cocked her head at him. “Roygo… Roygo Gilamore, is that correct?”

“ That is very correct. I believe you know what I’m hear for.”

She giggled at him. “ Oh, I do. But something tells me that you have a very… specific wish in mind for me today.”
He took a deep breath and pulled his scraggly beard. This was going to take some explaining.

“ I’m sure that a being such as yourself understands the concept of a legacy.”

“ Yes, I do. I’m going to assume your wish has something to do with gaining one?”

“ In a way. I have a very… special request to ask of you. My family is not impressive. None of us are especially gifted in any art. We are not extremely wealthy. We are not very prestigious. I have lived enough time to see my family grow, and be happy and content with their lives. I will tell you one thing. I am not a very arrogant or ambitious man. I don’t crave any of the things I’ve listed that I do not have. But I want it for my family. For my loving wife. All of my cousins, brothers, sisters, and children. I am the head of a house with no authority, yet I still have the respect of all of them. It eats me at night. It brings guilt to my heart that they don’t have better. So here is my wish, dragon. When I return home, I am going to make love to my wife. I am going to tell her that I wished for extreme fortune for our family. I am going to impregnate her. I beseech you to bless this child. Give them the most powerful blessing you can imagine. Please. Give this child a chance of greatness that none of my family has. I promise you that this gift will not be used in vain. I will make sure of that. This is an extreme request. I know that. But I beg you to agree.”

She was silent for a good while after hearing this. Beads of sweat poured down Roygo’s face. She chewed her bottom lip, toying with the idea in her mind. Roygo was good at reading people, even if those people were immortal dragons. It troubled him that she was taking so long to make a decision. She smiled mischievously after a moment.

“ This is indeed quite an… interesting request. I like it. I love it. I don’t recall any of my siblings giving out these kinds of blessings. Okay, elf, I will grant this wish. My Magic is already inside your wife. Go now, and create your child. Do not squander this gift.”

Roygo just about pissed himself in excitement. His whole body was shaking, up and down. He was about to start crying, in front of one of the most powerful beings in existence. He nodded weakly and made for the elevator.

“ Oh! Wait, there is one thing I wish to give you before you leave.”

He turned around to her, and she was holding what appeared to be… an egg.

“ This is a special egg I’ve been fermenting. I want you to take it. If this child is going to be your family’s legacy, this will certainly add to it.”

He was more confused than anything. But he accepted the gift. She opened a portal to the ground floor of the Tower of Ultimate Wizardry for him, and as he turned around once more before leaving, she gave him a sly wink.

Comments

• edited September 3

Birth of a Gilamore

It was a girl. Well, it was going to be a girl. Roygo was so happy when the clerics told him. They said that it was unusual to be able to sense the amount of life she was giving off inside the womb at this point. He knew exactly why. He didn't tell them. Or anyone else. The family was even more excited. Roygo and Cynthia hadn't had a child in a very long time. Their son Lancelot was the crowning achievement of the family, and he was absolutely fanatic about a baby sister. Everyone was happy. Roygo still worried, despite the confirmation the Dragon Aspect herself had given him. He couldn't stop worrying that something could go wrong. He needed to tell someone what he did. He somehow felt guilty about something that he hadn't even caused yet. So one night during a celebration, he brought his son out to a balcony. After making sure they were alone for some time, he began to speak.

" Son, I love you. I love your mother. And I'm going to love your sister as well. I know that you love them as well. So I have something I need to tell you. To get off my shoulders."

" Dad, you sound like you're about to tell me you killed a man. What do you need to say? you know you can trust me."

" Yeah, I know I can. Listen, Lance, I'm just going to get straight to the point here. There's no reason for me to sugarcoat it if I'm going to tell you." Roygo leaned against the railing on the balcony, not facing his son. " Don't tell your mom this. Or anyone else. Not even a member of the family. And I'll tell your sister when the time is right."

" Dad, what exactly did you?"

He sat quietly for a few minutes, and began speaking again.

" Your sister is going to be special. Very special. I made sure of that. That's what I really wished for up in the Tower. Her Magic is already manifesting, and she hasn't even been born yet, Lance. She's going to be strong. Stronger than the two of us. Than anyone else in this family. I'm gonna make sure of that. I'm gonna make sure that she gets a life that I couldn't earn for the rest of you. But I'm scared, Lance. Scared for your mother. I don't know how the hell Quintara's gift is going to affect her actually giving birth. I've been praying every night before we go to sleep for her safety. I don't know what to do. I needed to tell someone. I'm sorry for overloading you with this. Take a minute to process it."

Lancelot stood there with his father in the darkness, thinking. Just thinking. Because he really didn't know what to think.

" Listen, dad. This all sounds... crazy, for lack of a better word. I don't really know what to say. Expect that I hope that nothing bad happens. But... if something does go wrong. I don't think I'll blame you. I know you try to do everything for us. I'll keep this a secret. Until I get the okay from you, at least. I'm gonna head back inside. Mom is probably missing us. C'mon, let's go, dad."

You're probably right. I wouldn't want to make your mother wait."

The pair walked back inside to join the throng and enjoy themselves. Roygo actually managed to sleep with peace for a night since his return from the Tower.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The actual birth had gone well, but the aftermath had not. Roygo and Lancelot were standing off to the side, each of them holding one of Cynthia's hands as the clerics crowded around her body. Things were darkening. The baby had already been delivered, and she was perfectly fine. The problem was her mother. Cynthia's skin had gone pale, and she wasn't moving. Two of the clerics had already passed out and had to be replaced, because of the amount of energy they were pouring into her body to combat whatever the hell was killing her. Roygo had thrown up in a corner of the room earlier. He was terrified. His wife was dying. It was entirely his fault. In the arm that wasn't holding onto his wife's, Roygo held his daughter. Radiant, and full of life. He wanted to cry. But he didn't. He wasn't going to lose one family member to gain another. To hell with that. Roygo didn't really know what he was doing at that point. He silently cupped both of his wife's arms together, and placed their child inside them. She looked around at all the different people crowded around her, the shouting, the sadness, and began crying. She flung her shorts arms to the chest of her mother, burrowing into a pitiful, one-sided embrace. 

Cynthia coughed. She coughed again, and sat up quickly, not even realizing that her child was now sitting on her lap. The clerics fell back away from her, clearly confused as to how she was alive. Roygo and Lancelot exchanged a long look with each other. Then Roygo rushed to his wife's side. 

" Sweetheart, are you ok? Does anything feel wrong? Are-"

She held up a finger to him as she coughed some more and cleared her throat. And then she looked down at the baby who was staring back up at her.

" Oh... Roy, is this our daughter?" She picked up the baby and was now holding it in her arms. She was the happiest Roygo had seen her in a long time.

" I haven't gotten to do this since Lance was a baby. I guess all my motherly instincts will have to come back to me, eh?"

" Shit, I'm just glad you're okay enough to joke, honey. I don't know what I would've done if we'd lost you."

" Well it's a good thing you didn't, isn't it?" She smiled back at him in the way that had sparked their romance.

They traveled home by train. Cynthia was deeply asleep with the baby in her arms. Serena, they had decided. Serena Gilamore. She was also currently asleep in her mother's embrace. Lancelot and Roygo were seated across from each other.

" So. Dad. Are we just not going to discuss what happened? A baby completely healed mom of everything wrong with her. Several minutes after coming out of the womb."

" I know! It's incredible, isn't it! She's amazing, Lancelot. Good lord, Quintara Lotus actually did it. As for your mother, I'm just glad she's ok. I meant everything I said about losing her. But now we can welcome the newest edition to the family. We can teach her about her gifts later."

Lancelot leaned in to whisper to his baby sister.

" Welcome to the family, Serena."

• Making Friends? Part I

The wall of the manor was tall and foreboding. Durable stone, a very smooth surface, yet there were no guard towers, or spikes, or anything of real danger impeding someone from climbing it. Most thieves would have found this unnerving. Suspicious. The one studying it from the ground thought otherwise. She thought of it as an opportunity. The lean dwelf put down her lantern, cracked her knuckles, and began swinging her grappling hook up towards the wall.

" Bit late to be out thieving, don'tcha think?"

The thief spun around, a curved dagger in her off-hand. She searched blindly in the dark for where the voice had just come from. Finally, she saw the outline of someone sitting in a tree. She heard the snap of fingers, and a small orb of fire illuminated who was sitting there. A woman, appearing a bit older than the thief, was relaxing in the branches. She was dressed similarly to the thief, both of them wearing dark leather garments and cloaks. The only real difference between them was their faces. The woman was an elf, with the definitive ears and a sharper face. The thief's own face was much more rounded. 3/4 dwarf blood would do that to a person. The thief cut straight to the point with her first questions.

" Who the fuck are you? And exactly how long have you been watching me from over there?"

The woman blinked down to the ground and dusted herself off. " You can call me Vann. And I've been watching you since you got here. I'm gonna tell you right now, going into that place isn't a very good idea if you're planning on robbing it."

" And why would that be? Are you one of their guards? Or maybe you're just trying to get rid of competition. I highly doubt that you're being honest with me."

" While I will admit that you don't really have a reason to trust me, you're already going into this heist completely blind. If I tell you that I can help, why not take the extra risk? What do you really plan to accomplish by climbing that wall? Do you even have a plan?"

An uncomfortable silence followed this statement for a few minutes. Finally, the thief sighed. 

" Okay, fine. I'll team up with you. If you know what you're doing, lead the way. We can work out how to split it later."

The woman smiled and began walking towards the wall. She outstretched her hand for the thief to grab. " Alright then. Hold onto my arm. My way of moving is a lot faster than climbing."

The thief felt a bit of nausea as she was teleported on top of the wall. Looking around, the actual manor house was still quite a ways in the distance. The thief was disappointed. This looked much easier than it had appeared. The look must have been telegraphed, because Vann patted the thief on the shoulder.

" Ah, don't look so sad yet. I guarantee that this is much more exciting than you think it is. Look over there, to the left. You see what I'm pointing at over there?"

The thief squinted and looked in the direction. At first the thief didn't see anything as her eyes adjusted to the night, and there was evidently nothing, but soon enough she noticed that the shadows seemed to be shifting on the far side of the manor. Almost like something was moving.

" What... what is that over there? I can't really see too well."

" I'll give you one hint. That shadow belongs to a beast."

The thief's eyes widened. " There's no way. No creature is that big. Besides... I dunno... maybe a dragon?"

" Correct! That thing you see moving is a whelpling, almost fully grown and owned by this family. Let's try our best to avoid that side of the estate, shall we? I'd rather not end up as a toothpick."

The thief swallowed the lump in her throat. This was suddenly a lot more dangerous again. They blinked down to ground level. The majority of the trek up to the actual house consisted mostly of traversing some light woods. There were still no guards or patrols yet, but the thief knew exactly why now and hoped that the whelpling didn't have a good nose. As they approached the south side of the main house, the thief took the opportunity to ask a few questions about her strange partner.

" So... how exactly do you know about this place? Like, about the fact that they have a fucking dragon as a guard dog? Seems a little convenient to me."

" Well, it should be pretty obvious by now that I'm pretty good at spell-casting. I simply used Invisibility to sneak in through the front gate and scout the place. I've been inside the house, almost every room, every floor, and around most of the grounds outside."

" So then you are a fellow thief. Makes sense that you would look around so thoroughly. Do you know the route to their vault, or storeroom or whatever?"

" Yes, I actually do know a good route to take. But two people taking it is a lot harder than someone who's invisible taking it. And I wanna clarify, right now, that I am not a thief."

" But if you aren't a thief... why are you helping me? Why come here at all?"

Vann gave the thief a mischievous grin. " I like to consider myself a thrill-seeker. I like adventure. I like to have fun. Helping you seems like a lot of fun, so I'm doing it. Do I really need more of a reason?"

" I guess not really."

Vann nodded in agreement as they crouched down. They were at the edge of the treeline. 

" Well, my young thief. Ready to begin?"

" Yeah. And before we go in, I thought you'd like to know that my name is Alice."

" Cool. Let's go."

• Making Friends? Part II

Vann pointed up at the second floor of the manor.

" Okay, you see that balcony over there? That's where we're gonna enter. That whole side of the manor is bedrooms, and I happen to know that the occupant of that room isn't there right now. They probably wont be back for a while."

" Why? Where are they?"

" Let's just say she likes to wander."

Accepting this vague answer, the two of them sneaked further up until they were among the hedges at the base of the house. They were directly underneath the balcony. Expecting to teleport, Alice held onto Vann's shoulder and they blinked upwards, landing softly on the stone floor. Alice got out a set of lockpicks to start working on the door. As she turned around, Vann had already opened it and was walking inside. She was either the stupidest or the cockiest pseudo-burglar Alice had ever worked with. It amazed her. She followed suit, quietly closing the door behind them.

The first thing Alice took note of was the decor. There was a four-post bed in the corner of the room, and a small mahogany desk parallel to it. Several large wardrobes lined the walls on each side of the bed. The other half of the room contained several chairs seated around a brick fireplace, and several bookshelves. They were chock-full of different volumes and novels. She was impressed with the collection of knowledge here. There were two adjacent rooms, them being a bathroom and a small study where even more bookshelves were housed. There were arcane symbols drawn all over the walls in this room; Alice made note of this as she left. Searching the wardrobes revealed scores of woman's clothing, which could've been sold for a decent price, but Alice wasn't looking for that kind of loot at the moment. Searching the rest of the room revealed no jewelry or overly-expensive items, so they decided to move deeper in. After quietly opening the door, they took a left turn and started tip-toeing down the hall. Vann whispered that the room next-door was worthless, so they moved on to the one at the end of the hall. As they approached, they realized that some light was coming from underneath the door-frame. Cautiously sneaking forward, they could hear voices on the other side. It sounded like two men arguing, but the duo couldn't make out any words. Vann motioned for her companion to back up so that they could continue on their way. Vann suddenly realized something, and turned around to warn Alice in a harsh whisper.

" Be careful! The floor got waxed this morni-"

But she didn't get time to finish her sentnece as Alice took an uncertain step and slipped backwards, making a loud banging noise as she hit the marble floor.

Shit, was the only word Vann could think of in the few seconds she had to act. The voices in the room had stopped talking. She could hear footsteps. Before Alice could even sit up, she had shot a spell at her. The thief uttered a squeak as she was Polymorph'd into a small rat. She scurried behind a nearby plant pot. The double-doors of the room swung open, and an elf wearing a scowl walked out.

Alice's first instinct was to panic. She hadn't exactly experienced a polymorph before, and it was freaky as hell. She ran behind the pot and poked her new furry head past the side. She was utterly confused about what was before her. Her partner in crime was nowhere to be seen, instead replaced by a much younger female elf. In the doorway stood a much older man, with crossed arms. He began speaking to the young girl.

" Serena, why are you up so late? You know tomorrow is important."

" Oh, uh... I'm sorry dad, I just couldn't sleep. Nervous jitters and all that stuff."

The older elf smiled. " There's nothing to be nervous about, sweetheart. You and Rohbear have met before. It's just to discuss how they're going to treat you in the council. Just think of it as him explaining the rules to you."

" Thanks for the reassurance. Is Lance in there? Tell him I said goodnight."

" Alright, I will. Now go to bed, young lady." He walked back inside and closed the door.

The young girl let out a huge sigh. She turned around and crouched down towards the plant.

" Okay Alice, I'll break the spell now."

Alice felt herself turning back into her normal self, and patted her body to confirm that everything was in the right place.

" What the hell just happened? Vann, is that you?"

The girl's entire body started changing, growing in height and shape until she became the mage from before. Vann grinned.

" I'm pretty good at illusions, as you can see."

They quickly made their way down a different hallway, and took a breather in a small supply closet. Alice narrowed her eyes at her partner, who was in the process of looking right back at her.

" You sure know an awful lot about these people."

" Yeah, well I've spent the last few weeks basically living here. The conversations are certainly interesting."

" Hmm... what was that guy talking about back there? About a council? Does he mean..."

" Yes, he meant the one you're thinking of. From what I can gather, his daughter is gonna join it for some reason. Not sure why. They're really secretive about it, even in their own home."

" You think that girl could be valuable? Maybe we pay her a visit when she actually gets back to her room..."

" Actually, I'd rather not add kidnapping to a list of accusations in case we get caught."

" Well then, can we get to then loot already? How fucking long have we been here?"

" If you're that eager, the vault is in the basement. Let's make some money."

" Finally, some damn progress!"

• These are pretty cool!
  • Making Friends? Part III [Final]

The stairway to the basement was located in an obscure corner of the first floor. On the way down they had almost been discovered by a few servants that were getting ready for the next morning, but they managed to slip past  them without a problem. The pair then passed through several wine cellars, until eventually the walls turned to natural stone. The entrance of a small tunnel. Vann stopped in her tracks.

" This is the way to the vault.' She thought for a moment. " Actually, I probably shouldn't call it a vault. It's not very grand or anything, and it's not even that well guarded. It's kind of just... a room. At the end of this tunnel."

" I'm not a picky thief. Let's get this over with."

Vann walked confidently ahead with no precaution, so Alice took suit. If they were gonna get caught for making a stupid decision, it would've happened a while ago. The tunnel eventually narrowed until the pair had to walk in single file, but it didn't take too long to reach the end. A steel door with several locks was blocking their path.

" Well, this is it. I'm not exactly good at lockpicking, and I'd rather not blast it open. Sooo..."

" Yeah, yeah; I get it. Move aside."

Vann blinked behind her accomplice as Alice layed out her entire kit before her on the ground. She scratched her chin as she inspected the locks. Different designs were gonna need different picks. She really wished she had a skeleton key right about now. After choosing the proper tools, she set to work. The first lock came off easy; it was the biggest and gave her the most room to maneuver around in. The other two took a bit longer. They were both smaller, and the last one had some kind of magical seal on it that she had to get Vann's help to break. The door was surprisingly heavy, so they both had to put their weight into the door to move it open.

Alice was not impressed. The room was almost completely bare. The walls were made of thick steel, and there was a safe on the wall opposite the door. But other than that, there was literally nothing in the room.

" There better be a solid gold dragon egg in that safe or I'm gonna be really fucking angry."

" I thought you weren't a picky thief? Anyhow, relax. There's stuff to grab. Trust me."

" Hmmph." Alice took a small pouch off of her belt, and the bag of holding expanded to the size of a large sack. She put it on the ground and began cracking the safe. Vann sat back against the wall behind them and waited.

" I got it!" Alice yelled excitedly after a few minutes, startling Vann. She quickly sat up.

Alice began pulling the safe's handle to open it. Vann leaned over her shoulder. What Alice saw inside was... completely normal. There were several stacks of Gold bars inside the safe, on two different shelves. Any noble family could've had this kind of wealth stowed away behind a painting, or under a bed somewhere. It really disappointed her. Coming from this house, with it's mysterious owners, had really put the image in her mind of some unique treasure to plunder. Maybe some statuettes, magical artifacts, or anything besides what she was seeing. But a heist was a heist. She reluctantly began loading all of the bars into her bag.

" You look... kinda disappointed. You're not satisfied?"

" It's not that. This is a fortune. I don't do too many jobs like this that often. It's just kinda lame."

" Well then. I don't really know what to do about that."

" Let's just get the hell outta here."

" Agreed."

The duo backtracked the same way that they had come in. The resident of the bedroom still hadn't returned by the time they were off of the balcony. They ran through the woods, didn't attract the attention of the whelpling, and safely got back over the wall. Once they had traversed far enough to make it back to an actual road, they stopped and caught their breath.

Panting, Alice wiped her sweaty forehead and looked over at her partner in crime.

" All in all, I gotta hand it to you; that was a good heist. Thanks for all the help."

" It was, wasn't it? We didn't even run into too many complications."

" Guess not." Alice straightened up and patted her bag of holding. " Well... I guess I should go now. Maybe we can work together again sometime?" She turned toward Vann to hear her reply.

And was hit with a wave of confusion.

Sitting on a tree stump was not her partner, but instead the form of the young girl that she had taken on from earlier. She was smiling coyly at Alice.

" Um... any particular reason you're using that illusion again?"

" On the contrary, Alice, I've already broken the illusion."

This took a second to comprehend.

" Wait, what the hell do you mea-" But Alice wasn't able to finish that sentence.

As she started talking the girl had rushed forward, leaving a trail of lightning behind her. Alice didn't have time to react properly, and felt a solid right hook connect with her face. But it wasn't a normal punch. Time seemed to slow down for Alice, and every second of the pain lasted for an agonizing eternity. She had time to take in every detail on the girl's face. She was grinning now. All of a sudden, time resumed it's normal speed. Alice collapsed to the ground.

She just sat there, on her hands and knees, gasping for air after the attack. She felt her bag of holding being removed from her belt, but wasn't exactly in a condition to do anything about it.

" I'll just be taking this, now. I'm not gonna let you actually leave with some of our gold. As for anything else in here, well I'm sure we can work that out at some other time."

" wha.. what the fuck... is going on..." Alice felt like her jaw was broken in ten different places.

" Allow me to explain. After the entertainment you've given me tonight, you deserve as much."

Alice groggily was allowed onto her knees, and the girl sat back down on the stump, the bag in hand.

" I don't know if you're fully comprehending this right now, So I'll keep it simple. Obviously I'm not who I said I was. Vann is just a name I came up with on the spot. However, I am actually the 'wandering' resident of the house that I told you about. Midnight strolls are nice, am I right?"

Alice was still shaky. " Wha.. why?" was all that she could get out. She could tell her jaw was definitely broken now.

" I told you before that I liked to have fun, right? That part was truthful. Going on this robbery with you was a lot of fun. It was exciting! And I think you're a pretty okay person, for a thief. We should do more stuff like this some time. But in the meantime... I do have to be returning this gold. Of course, all of our actual valuables are in a vault in Than'drellfal. Not a lot of big families would be dumb enough to hide all their stuff at their homes. And one final thing before I go. I have to take care of you for now."

Alice was suddenly very afraid. She shakily stood up and held her fists in a fighting stance. This turned out to be an extremely bad idea, as Serena promptly froze both of her hands together in a solid block of ice. Alice slurred something that couldn't be understood.

" Oh, I should probably take care of that while I remember."

She placed her hand on Alice's chin and let Light magic pour into her. Alice could feel her jawbone being put back into place by it. She wasn't really expecting an act of kindness at this point.

" So... you're helping me... even though I tried to rob you... and you helped me rob you... and now you're also robbing me?"

" Don't over-complicate things. Just feel lucky that I let you off this easy. Now get out of here."

The disgruntled thief didn't really have a choice whether to stay or not. She started walking. If she didn't find a sturdy boulder or a tree to smash it on, the ice wouldn't melt for hours. She thanked every divine that she had chosen to wear long gloves. Before she got too far away, the elf yelled one last thing at her that she turned around to hear.

" If you ever need help with something, you know where to find me!"

She was doubly confused now. She didn't really want to think about it, though. The sun was rising. The last thing she needed was for some asshole to spot her, completely defenseless, and get robbed a second time of everything else she had. What a tiring night.

• edited September 3
    also those are really nice :) 
    Fuck yeah IMA BIRB!
  • @Snarky Getting a thumbs up from porn elf is a pretty big milestone in my book!
  • Dreaming Big Part I

The Dreamworld is big. Well, big is not the right word to explain the size. Infinite is a better term. That's what Serena thought as she looked around. This wasn't the first time she had accidentally dragged herself into the Dreamworld in her sleep. She sighed. Usually there wasn't much to do in here until she woke up. Walking literally never got her anywhere. She really wondered how the Dreamworld functioned, considering the terrain she was in. With her instructors, she had managed to pull them into the Dreamworld after several tries, and it looked almost the exact same as the place they were in. The few times she had been there while she slept, the Dreamworld was a swirling mass of color and clouds, always moving, always shifting. Sometimes shapes would materialize out of the clouds, and fade away in moments. Sometimes people she knew, or complete strangers, would walk out of the clouds and join her on the long walk. She didn't know if they were actually there or not, so most of the time she just assumed it was her subconscious giving her something to do.

This time, she hadn't seen anyone for a long while. That was kind of weird. Usually at least something would've happened by now. She guessed that the Dreamworld understood this, because some of the cloudy areas up ahead were turning dark grey. This was the first time this had happened so far, so Serena sped up to see what was going on. Standing in the midst of this dark area yielded nothing, however. She turned to start walking in a different direction when she heard a sound coming from nearby. The clouds around her started to take on more defined and sharp shapes, until they began looking like the walls of tight alleys and compact buildings of a city. She listened more closely, and could make out the sound better. It was the heavy footfall of someone who was wildly running. It was coming towards her, and soon she heard someone very close by start panting, and the footsteps started slowing down. A person limped out from one of those alleys, and was now catching their breath when they locked eyes with Serena. It didn't take much for the two former partners-in-crime to recognize each other.

The young blonde woman's mouth was agape for a minute. " It's... It's YOU!"

Serena still didn't really think this was real. Just another apparition to talk to.

" Mhm. So what brings you to this part of town?"

Alice was bewildered. " What... What brings me here? What the fuck are you talking about!? I'm trying to figure that out! Why the fuck are YOU here!? Where even is 'here'?"

Suddenly this felt a lot more real to Serena.

" Wait, are you real?"

" What does that even mean!?"

" Um... How do I go about this... What's the last thing you remember before getting here?"

" What? I don't know, I guess I fell asleep or something. But listen, I-"

" Huh, that would explain a lot. You're in the Dreamworld right now. Maybe somehow I dragged you in here by proxy. I didn't know I could do that. Hmm... maybe I should try to come here on purpose for once."

" No, wait I seriously need you to listen right now! This is probably the only chance I'll get to ask somebody. Oh man, I am so FUCKED!" Alice looked very panicked and on the verge of tears.

" Whoa, whoa, just calm down for a second. What's wrong?"

" I'm in some deep shit right now, and I seriously need help. Like, as in my life is in danger."

" Okay, that's great, but you have to actually explain why if I'm gonna be able to help you."

Alice sighed. " Okay, I'll try to keep this brief. I was snooping around in the usual manor that I do, scoping out a target. It's this gang of smugglers down on the docks of a city called Rogueport. It's kind of a shithole. But these guys smuggle some pretty high-end stuff onto the streets and to other criminals. So I thought that I'd get in on the action, unofficially of course. Problem was that they were a lot more vigilant than I expected. And there were a lot more guards than I expected, too. I didn't get very far into their warehouse when they caught me. And long story short... I'm currently sitting nice and tight inside of a barrel. And it's a bit embarrassing, but I kinda... can't escape. And I'm seriously starting to panic. I've been their prisoner for a couple days now and they've started talking about loading me up on the first ship they can find. I need fucking help. I-"

The clouds were starting to swirl upwards around them. Serena didn't hear the last few words that came out of her friend's mouth as she too was suddenly rocketing upwards through the vortex. She knew what this meant.

She sat up, fully awake. Not missing a beat, she got out of bed and began dressing as fast as possible. After grabbing a small backpack, she rushed out of her room and downstairs. She tried to avoid anyone she saw as to not complicate things or waste time, and made her way into the storeroom to gather some supplies. If she needed Gold she could just conjure it. After this, she opened up a window and blinked outside. She contemplated taking Ridge instead of travelling on foot to this city, but a gigantic dragon would probably draw a lot of attention. Ridge must've sensed his master thinking about him, because Serena could hear the ground shaking. She groaned. It looked like her cover had been blown by her 15-Ton pet. As he got close she could see that he had been chewing on the pesky family of lacerators that had moved onto the property. He was amazing at pest control.

He began nuzzling his master affectionately, which wasn't hard considering that his nose was the length of her body.

" Ridge, I really don't have time to play right now. I have someplace that I have to go. It's really important, okay?"

She felt the wave of telekinetic magic pass through her head.

" Okay. Maybe when you get back?"

" Sure, buddy. I promise. We can fight and you can help me practice some Ice Magic. That'll be fun!"

He snorted ash onto her, and started stomping away. She really was proud of him. She could never find any document or books containing evidence of any other whelpling be able to communicate like this. He couldn't even actually talk. But this way, when they talked, it felt a lot more personal. He couldn't talk telepathically to anyone else, to her knowledge. Well, she might as well make a run for it now that the whole house was awake. Unfortunately, someone was already standing at the front gate, apparently busy with something.

She hadn't really been paying attention, just looking back at the house to make sure no one was following her, when she ran head-first into her big brother's back. She bounced off and hit the ground, dazed. Lancelot turned around.

" Hey, sis. Bit early to be going somewhere, isn't it? Where are you trying to run off to?"

He was inquisitive, but he was also protective as hell. Serena knew better than to lie to him.

" I'm just gonna come straight out; I need to go to a city called Rogueport. A friend of mine is in danger there. I talked to her in the Dreamworld."

" Okay."

He was also extremely understanding. He knew she was probably telling the truth. 

" Let's go, then."

That was a surprise to her. She usually didn't involve family on her antics.

" Uh... us? As in the two of us?"

" I'm not exactly gonna let you go by yourself to a city you've never been to before. I'll go get my tarandor. Don't run off without me."

Things would certainly get interesting with Lance on board.

• edited September 10

Dreaming Big Part II [Final]

Alice slumped her head against the side of her wooden prison. The barrel was made of thick wood, and the fuckers had nailed it shut. Her only source of light, air, and outside sound was a few tiny holes in the side of the barrel. She grunted into her gag, but there wasn't much she could do about her current situation. Tied from head-to-toe in a tight ball, movement was out of the equation altogether as well. Her only hope was that the girl who had tricked her a few weeks prior had actually been a part of the crazy dream she had. She did say that she could call her for help, right? But the more she thought about the dream, the more she thought about the details she had left out. She had given her, what, a city? Some docks? Not exactly a precise location to look. She tried to scream again and started struggling for a few seconds. If her arms weren't tied horizontally, she probably could've reached the switchblade she kept in her underwear. Thankfully they hadn't checked there for any hidden weapons. Not that it mattered. She stopped struggling and just sat there, trying to think of anything that could help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The city was pretty much how Alice had described it to her; it looked like a shithole from this distance. Lance had become more wary once she told him everything she knew, but she also knew that it would take more than some criminals to scare her brother. Riding into the city with the tarandor probably would've drawn a lot of attention, so they left it in the care of some shady gnomes at an inn a little ways outside of the walls. They didn't expect to see it again. They kept the hoods of their cloaks up the whole walk down to the docks, trying not to draw attention. The district containing the numerous warehouses was isolated from the rest of the buildings, and numerous guards patrolled every gate. After observing it for a while, they saw that only certain people were allowed in: people hauling large amounts of cargo, and people hauling... live cargo. Serena tried to conceal her rage as she witnessed what was clearly slave trafficking going on right across the street from them. Her attention was then drawn to the actual docks behind the fenced-in area. They were all empty. She prayed that her friend hadn't already been taken aboard a ship. Her brother turned to her.

" Okay, Serena. I think I have a plan to get us in."

" Oh yeah? And what exactly would that be?"

" Well, I really don't like it, but It's our safest bet to not be discovered at first. All you have to do is Blink up to a rooftop, then to another one past the fence, and use Invisibility. After that, find your friend, signal me telepathically, and I'll create a distraction for you to bring her out. And then we run like hell and hope those damn gnomes didn't steal Ellon."

" Okay. I guess it's worth a shot. What do I do if I'm caught?"

" I know you don't like to, but kill them. We don't want future trouble, and I don't want anyone coming after you."

Serena frowned at this.

" I'll try to remember that."

Lance sunk back into the shadows of the alley they were in, and Serena turned invisible to find a suitable spot. She chose one near the end of the row of warehouses; if she was going to have to search each building, she would check the farthest first. Getting down to the ground was easy, but to actually get inside was different. She had to wait until someone opened the back door and catch it before it closed behind them. There weren't any guards in this building, and the only containers there were some sacks. They were full of produce and flour. Even criminals had to have something to eat. The next building had an open window, so she blinked halfway through and hung there to see what was inside. It made her blood boil.

She had found the pen where they kept their slaves. Men, women, children, old and young of all races were crammed together with their own filth in cages against the walls. They were all almost completely nude, or covered in so much filth that it looked like they were wearing paint on their bodies. Each of them had collars around their necks, which instinctively made Serena rub her own Silver Silk collar. They were all tagged with a number on their ears. A large porc was guarding the door here and he looked deeply asleep. Maybe she could obey Lance's command and turn him into bacon... But very reluctantly, she backed out of the window. Alice's captors would have no reason to move her there if they were keeping her themselves. If Serena was caught by her friend's captors, she would incinerate them. She knew that now. 

She thought that the next building was the likely contender. Lots of guards, like Alice had said. There were large and small containers scattered around in groups. Lots of barrels. One by one, she began quietly knocking on all of these barrels when the guards weren't nearby. Not making any process, she thought that they probably wouldn't keep her in a random place around all the other goods. She made her way towards the back of the warehouse. There was a set of stairs that led to some kind of office, and a small door. She moved closer to the door. There was a small window with some bars on it, so she looked inside. It looked a miniature prison cell. Some manacles hung from the walls, straw was strewn around the floor... and a big barrel sat in the corner. Bingo. She used telekinesis to unlock the door. She smiled, knowing that she outclassed the thief in terms of lockpicking ability. She slowly crept through the doorway and closed it.

Alice thought she was hallucinating. Lurching forward as far as her bonds allowed her to, she peered through a hole and thought that she witnessed the door unlock itself and close. She had definitely heard the scuffle of a boot on the ground. She determined she was going mad. Until the lid of the barrel popped right off, and a mess of chocolate-brown hair spilled into her face.

" Did you miss me?" Whispered the mischievous voice of an angel.

" Mmmphh! MMgghhh! Mgh mm MMH!" Alice attempted to respond.

" Mm, I don't know Alice. That look kinda suits you."

The thief glared at her rescuer. Serena struggled to get her out of the barrel and onto the ground. She ungagged her first, untying the cloth and taking the rag out of her mouth.

" Fucking son of a bitch!" She muttered as the elf was cutting her loose. When her wrists were freed, she rubbed them. They were bleeding and there was some deep bruising. Serena put one hand on her arm as she cut Alice's legs free with her dagger. After a few moments she was completely fine, and free.

" Well, I'm glad to see that I was actually talking to you and not having a fever-dream."

" Maybe we can talk more after we leave?"

" Oh, no. I'm not leaving yet. I've got a score to settle now. Do you have any explosives?"

" I have my hands."

" Good enough for me." 

Lance wasn't exactly sure what his sister was doing, but that was one hell of a signal. Two of the warehouses had caught fire, and were being consumed by roaring infernos. It looked like the fire was coming under control now, but everything inside had surely been lost. He was getting ready to start when Serena popped into existence behind him. Startled, he whipped around.

" Mark of summoning?"

" Mark of summoning."

Standing next to Serena was who he could only guess was her friend. She she and Serena exchanged some words, then she fled up the alley away from them.

" Woman of few words?"

" She went to make sure the gnomes didn't steal your moose."

" He has a name."

" Well so does Ridge."

" Okay, fine, good point. Let's get out of here. Dad's probably wondering where the hell we are right now."

" Do you think Alice could stay for a bit? I think dad would probably like to meet her."

Lance stopped. He was looking at something in the distance.

" I don't think that's gonna happen, sis."

" Why not?"

" Because she just stole my moose."

Serena looked ahead and saw them galloping down the road. She grinned. It appeared that her friend would always be a thief, no matter the circumstances.

• edited September 17

Short summaries of different groups/individuals + future ones

I've been pretty fucky with new content here because I've just got a lot of thoughts in my head that I'm trying to put down into writing. Good concepts + amateur writing do not equal good shit. That's why I deleted the most recent story I had written. Sorry if you actually wanted to see a kid learn about magic, I didn't know how to continue it and it bummed me out. So I thought that taking some time to just jot down the shit I had come up with so far would be a good idea. People like that, right? Anyway, I went ahead and did that.

1. The Gilamore Family. 

The simplest to talk about because I don't really need to. They are the main focus besides in small side-plots that I'll be writing about other things mentioned in this comment. All you need to know is that there are 5 of them in our group: Roygo, Cynthia, Lancelot, Serena, and Argus; listed in order of oldest to youngest. It should be pretty obvious by now as to which of them our main focus is on. ( Argus will get another chance for a story since I deleted his first appearance.)

2. Alice 

Alice is a prideful thief with a series potty-mouth. Her pride isn't all that far-fetched though; she actually is quite skilled at what she does. She only really ever fails when she's sideswiped or doesn't know all the details of a job ( You should already know how well that went last time). Alice will also be getting standalone stuff that I'll be working on. I'm trying to work on a rotation of what characters to write about as well. I don't want to write 10 stories/chapters in a row of Serena/Alice adventures, that gets boring and stupid. I have some particular stories that I know I'll be doing, so I hope they'll be good.

3. The Council

I'm really nervous to do basically anything with the elven council because we haven't seen how they work yet but I did have some ideas for implementing them into the story. I'll probably mention them in name only and never actually set something in it.

4. Fun stuff

I've got some really fucking cool stuff that I've been brainstorming for the past few days. My favorite that I came up with has definitely got to be the Goro Clan. A band of criminals who are all, of course, Goros. All races, from Goblin to Ogre, are welcome in this gang. The only requirement? That you have 4 arms. They make a particular habit of taking in Goros when they're young to swell the ranks. Papa Goro, the 5-armed Ogre, leads the clan. His final word on any matter is law. Of course the clan has certain rules to keep infighting to a minimum; jobs are taken by the individual or assigned by Papa Goro. Every Goro gets to keep whatever money they make, no matter what. Two of the most prominent members of the clan are the Goro Twins; a pair of deadly dwarves that have never failed a job to this day. ( They may or may not be making an appearance in our story.) They're regarded as the clan's best fighters. Think of this clan as like The Khans from the Fallout universe, or The Phantom Troop from HunterxHunter.

5. Some Shadowy Shit

Not going to get too deep into a potential spoiler of something that I'm not even anywhere near close to writing yet, but there is definitely going to be a much larger, major scale plot. It's not just gonna be a collection of random stories that I came up with.

That's pretty much all I got for now. I'll be trying to write something not related at all to either of our "heroines" and then the one focused on Alice.

• The Nest Part I

12. No, 15. No, wait, 20. The gun became unsteady in the Ranger's hands, and he finally released his breath and stopped looking through the scope. His gnomish-radio crackled to life.

" Seymour, report in! How many do you spot by the entrance? Is it anything serious? "

The Ranger glanced back down over the ridge. Probably two-dozen thralls wandering around down by the cave. Fuck. He fumbled the radio off of his belt, and began his answer.

" Uh... sir, I don't really know. At least 20 are down there right now, but some more of them are just slowly ambling outside. I don't think they're really going anywhere. What should we do?"

There was silence for a few minutes, but then Seymour got a reply from the other end.

" Get back to camp, son. We'll discuss this more there. Everyone needs to be there when we come up with a plan. "

Seymour breathed a sigh of relief and packed up his things. The trek back to the main camp would probably be the safest part of this mission.

He walked past the faded red banner and back into the camp, his gun slung over his shoulder. Seymour's fellow paladins were squatting around the campfire cooking something when he got there. They looked up and waved at him, and then went back to their meal. Seymour walked past them towards the bigger of the two tents that they had pitched for the camp. Walking through the tarp entrance, he was met with the stench of alcohol and cigarettes. The captain was apparently nervous enough to be using both. 

The captain noticed him as he walked up. He was studying a map of the region provided by the Order. There was a large, white X marked over the location of the spiders' nest. The captain looked up at Seymour as he entered, and they nodded at each other. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, and then beckoned Seymour outside. Seymour thought that he was probably going to address the whole squad at once. He followed suit.

The measly squad stood at attention when the captain stepped outside of the "command tent." There were 7 of them in total, counting the captain. A Paladin and his squire, their demolitions expert, a mage, a healer, and then Seymour; the sharpshooter. What a collection they were. The captain began his address shortly after they were all ready to listen.

" I know you guys are anxious to get out of here. I don't like camping out within 100 miles of a spiders' nest, let alone the distance we're at now. But we have a mission to carry out. And we finally got some new orders from HQ."

They all glanced at each while the captain let this news sink in.

" As you know, our orders so far have been to wait here and keep watch on the entrance while the other nests are cleared. Besides a few stray thralls, we haven't really had any trouble. But after I told HQ about the small horde Seymour spotted, they decided that we need to take some actions."

The mage, Theodore, butted in. " And exactly what the hell does that mean? Are the 7 of us supposed to charge into the gates of hell?"

" Yeah, real funny. No, this isn't a suicide mission. I'm not sending any of you out to die. All we have to do is reconnaissance the cave. We are not to engage any enemies, except for the ones outside. If we see a spider, we retreat immediately. If we find the queen, we retreat immediately and radio HQ. If we are somehow incapable of escaping, Moralis is to collapse the cave."

At this point, he turned to the small gnome carrying all of the team's explosives. He was silently focused on the ground, his arms folded. The captain resumed his orders, this time turning to address the healer.

" Linssa, I want you to stay in the back of the group. If someone gets poisoned by the spiders, you become invaluable. Even saying that, I don't want you to try and be a hero. I know this is... very morbid, but if there's even the slightest chance that we can't save someone, don't try. Is that understood?"

Everyone looked at the elf. She was biting her lower lip, but she finally budged. 

" Yes sir. I understand."

The others knew that making the cleric forget about saving lives was something she hated with a passion. Seymour felt sorry for the girl. This probably wasn't the kind of work she had in mind when she joined the G.P.O. She was probably more interested in the humanitarian side of things. The sort of " help rebuild these poor kobolds' village" or "heal the sick and wounded." That sort of crap. So Seymour didn't feel too sad for her. Being naive like that got you a lot more than disappointed on an actual mission. It got you dead. At least her heart was in the right place.

" Seymour, you're to take up position behind us when we take on the thralls. After that, I want you to stick to close quarters stuff. Your rifle isn't gonna be much use in a confined space like that. As for the rest of you, you're with me up front." The captain thought for another moment. " I think that's about all I need to say. All right squad, get ready. We roll out in the morning."

• The Nest Part II

One. Two. Three. Three shots, three splintered skulls. One was coming up behind Linssa. Bam, four. Captain Ramos and the meathead, Nacamara, had sent several waves of holy fire onto the undead, quickly thinning their numbers. Theodore and Moralis were more focused on keeping the thralls back than actually trying to attack them in case the noise attracted more. Even Nacamara's squire had gotten a few good hits in. Seymour noticed a particularly large one ambling in from the woods. Probably a blackboar in a time past. He had two put two bullets in the pig's skull to break it. The group on the ground looked around, checking for any stragglers. It seemed as if they had taken care of them all. Seymour checked himself, and climbed down from the tree he was in.

" That was some damn fine shooting, son." Ramos felt the need to congratulate Seymour on something everyone already knew. Nacamara grunted in response. 

" All in a day's work, I guess. Should we head on it?" Seymour was shouldering his rifle and starting to load his one-handed crossbow. He had a large combat knife, but he didn't really like using it. Range was a preferable advantage when dealing with monsters that breath in your face to kill you. He was getting out his special bolts when he noticed Nacamara's squire looking at something.

" What are you looking at, kid? Another thrall we didn't see?"

He frowned. " Um... no sir, I don't think so. I just thought I saw something move. Now I'm not so sure."

" Well just keep an eye out. Chances are that if I didn't spot it, you didn't."

The squire nodded at this. He still looked nervous.

They gathered at the entrance to the cavern. The sticky material that the spiders weaved was already visible all over the natural stone. It had a sickly purple color. They were all about to enter when Nacamara shouted at his squire.

" Hey, pipsqueak! Are you comin' or what? Get over here!"

His squire had not moved from his previous spot. He did not heed Nacamara's call. It looked like he was shaking. Obviously angry, Nacamara marched towards the young boy.

" Squire! What the hell do you think you're doing? You wanna go chase fairies in the woods, you little turd? You spot some spirits in the trees? Huh? What is it? Answer me!"

Linssa decided to butt heads with him.

" Hey, you don't need to be so rough with him! He's just a kid!"

" What the hell do you know?"

They argued back and forth for a minutes, and this didn't bother Seymour. The squire was bothering Seymour. A lot. He still hadn't moved. Wait. His head was moving... he was looking at something. Seymour started following the same path his head was moving in. His eyes widened, and he immediately bolted towards the trio.

" FUCKING MOVE!" He yelled at them, and the arguing pair turned to him, startled. He tackled Linssa, knocking them both into Nacamara and creating a dog-pile of angry people a few feet from where they had just been. Seymour turned around to yank the kid down, but it was too late. Frozen with fear, the squire didn't move as a small shape leaped out of the foilage towards him. It was a goblin. He was dripping in some kind of liquid that looked like... oil. Seymour realized all of this in the split second before the goblin attached itself to the squire's chest in a bear-hug. He had already stood up and was taking aim at the goblin when it erupted into flames. 

The squire finally started doing something. And it was screaming. It was the scream of an animal in the middle of its death throes. The oil from the goblin's skin had splattered all over the squire, and he was being burned alive. The flames engulfed his entire body. Seymour's teeth were gritted, and his aiming arm was shaking. He couldn't shoot the kid. But he couldn't kill the goblin without doing that. He didn't have the time to make a decision. The squire collapsed onto the ground, still on fire. That wasn't the worst part. Linssa screamed.

The goblin was getting up. Ageless. Of course. Seymour scrambled backwards and fired several bolts into his head. He fell over, dead. None of them spoke for a long time. Linssa and Nacamara were still on the ground. They were stunned. Nacamara slowly got up and crawled over to the corpse of his squire. He was speechless. Seymour wasted no time and glided into the woods. He checked the surrounding area for several minutes in case more of the little fuckers tried to ambush them. He found nothing. When he returned to the group, a sheet was covering the squire's body. There was a dreary silence in the group. The captain finally spoke up, trying to get back on track.

" We should... we should get to work. I'll make sure that his body is sent to his parents."

Nacamara spoke up. " He didn't have any. He was the survivor of an ageless raid on a village."

Nobody had half-expected Nacamara to know a single thing about his squire based on the way he treated him. He started walking towards the entrance of the nest. He turned back to them.

" Are we doing this, or what?"

• I haven't read through all these yet, but they're really good so far. Good Job :smilebold: