Professor Nader "Welcome to the URealms Forums! Please make sure to read the rules before posting!
Your posting ability may be restricted for the first 24 hours!"

What's your favorite anime/manga?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Berserk are my favorite.  :)

Comments

• One Piece is my favourite. It's one hell of a time investment, but it's worth it.
  • One piece is pretty great but I like tenchi muyo the anime and manga @Shuckle
  • So many great choices. I think I have to stick with my favorite for years, Yu Yu Hakusho.
    It sets itself up as a DBZish shonen series but by the time the first big tournament is over you realize its more a character-driven drama than a typical power fantasy. Some people may not like the bait and switch but when the bait is mediocre and the genuine article is a masterpiece it tends to stay with you.
  • You know @Dais it was after the tournament when I dropped watching the show. I think I was like... 13 or 14, I'm not sure if they just stopped airing it on CN or I just stopped caring but yea. At this point it would be a bit hard to get back into because how long it ran. I generally don't like watching an anime for too long myself
  • I appreciate comedy anime the most in my experience, stuff along the lines of Keroro Gunso and Squid Girl usually gets me really into it. Although if we're being honest, I don't really watch all that much anime in the first place. I guess for simplicity sake, we can just say Keroro Gunso is my favorite anime. As for manga, Pokemon Adventures is pretty much the only manga I read.
  • @Tripleat its a long show but it finished its run and got a true end- not some filler end as the manga continued. I cant recommend the series enough.The longer you go the more you get attached to the characters and invested in their struggles and triumphs. 
    Late in the series it starts presenting some deeper and almost philosophical concepts but by then its a delight rather than  the drag of seeing repetitive stories told over and over like some shonen fight series tend to do.

For something shorter and newer try that new netflix voltron. I love that one too.
  • edited May 2017
    Urealms is a cool anime
  • I'll give you my Top 11 (cus I'm weird)

11. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K

Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

9. Darker than Black and Black Lagoon

8. Trigun

Steins;Gate

Seitokai Yakuindomo

Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man

4. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

3. Gurren Lagann

2. One Piece

1!!!. 
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (All of it)
  • Full metal alchemist brotherhood 
  • Full metal alchemist because that is the only one I really watch

• edited May 2017
    Kono Subarashii. Arguably one of the best comedy anime ive ever seen.

oh yeah and Youjo Senki : saga of tanya the evil, Hilarious and just plain good all around. warning can get gruesome. >:) 

Deathnote, it took my anime virginity. It was an absolute blast for me and I will never forget it.

Removed links cause wasnt sure Id get banned for them or not <_<
  • Haven't watched as many lately, but the best one I watched this past year was Re:Zero - Starting Life in Another World.  The premise seemed neat and drew me in.  Essentially the main character ends up in a fantasy type world, where every time they die time is reversed.  He retains all his knowledge up to the point where he dies, so when he respawns in the past he can make different decisions and change the future.  Its a fairly violent world, so he dies a lot.  Some of the deaths are pretty brutal too, to the point that he respawns with psychological trauma.  It is not an anime for the faint of heart, but as far as psychological/thriller animes go it very well done.  The writing is excellent.

All that said, pulling a 180, my all time favorite anime/manga is Gintama.  It is always good for a laugh.  Its just a great Character driven comedy, that continues to get better and better.           
  • i have several but my favorite currently would have to be a split between my hero academy, onepiece, and the legendary moonlight sculptor. although the legendary moonlight sculptor might not be considered a manga seeing as i believe its based off a Korean light novel
  • Kekkai Sensen: it's pretty funny, but I mostly like it for its outro theme which makes me very happy on the inside.
  • Manga: 
    Saiyuki
    Four dudes traveling to stop the revival of the demon king, except they are jerks to each other

Anime:
    Tiger and Bunny
    Heroes are basically life saving endorsements as they have ads all over their suits. Good show.
  • No love for Fairy Tail? That show is what got me through some of the worst years of my life 
  • @alecspark33

I really like Fairy Tail's world and background lore, I'm just disappointed by the most recent arc's writing, and that seems to have spoiled a lot of the old elements from earlier in the manga/anime. Still, lot of the earlier stuff is awesome.
  • I like quite a bit of stuff that I suppose is surface level, like Fairy Tail, Re:Zero, Konosuba, etc., but I just think Full Metal Alchemist is such an easily accessable, interesting story with well-rounded, well-developed characters and awesome set pieces and animation that I don't think it can be dethroned.
  • One Piece is by far my favorite one. The reason is that it manages to be a linear story while at the same time having branching paths that elegantly weave back into the main storyline. It's like a braid rather than a thread in that sense.

Berserk is a close second. I hated the main character in the beginning, but that left so much room for character development. It went from me not standing his guts to me wanting to grow ovaries so I could have his babies.

Honorable mentions for the Usagi Drop (anime, not manga) for instilling parental instincts in me. Up until I saw that anime I never even thought I'd want children of my own someday.
  • I've watched so many lately I can't even pick
    Re:Zero, Erased, Mob Psycho 100, My Hero Academia (Uraraka is Best Girl), 
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Just got to part 6 in the manga),
    Hunter x Hunter, Danganronpa 3 (mostly bc of the games)
    And a ton more.
  • The only anime I watched was Code Geass and it was amazing. Never got myself to watch to the end because I kinda forgot about it for a long time, probably only had like 4 episodes or so left, but the end got spoiled in youtube comments for me. Great show regardless tho.
  • I love me some Natsume Yuujinchou but I can't bring myself to watch the new season yet because I know it'll just wreck me emotionally again. Other than that I've been indulging in the DBZ Super with no high expectations and have been enjoying it.
  • @Aptmage my girlfriend @RainbowCrisp loves Natsume as well!
  • @Sixelona It's so good! I only discovered the show around a year ago and it was such a great change of pace from the hyper-action stuff I was watching previously. 
  • GENGEN TOPPA GUREN LAGANN!!!!!!! And one piece of course. 
  • One piece is my favourite manga to read while one punch man is probably the only anime I've watched. Wait, attack on titan was the shit. :)
  • Highschool DxD for me. Came for the fanservice, stayed for the story.
  • Soul Eater used to be my all time favorite back in the day. These days I enjoy One Piece, Onepunch-Man, Boku no Hero Academia, UQ Holder, Shokugeki no Soma, Saki, World Customize Creator and Nanatsu no Taizai to name a few. My all time favorite anime include series like Log Horizon, No Game No Life and Overlord. I also enjoy chinese/korean webtoons like Tales of Demons and Gods, Girls of the Wilds and The Gamer.
  • As far as gag anime go I really like KonoSuba (/God's Blessing on this wonderful World) and Gintama.
    Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann and Steins;Gate are obligatory picks but to mention some anime that haven't been yet mentioned Parasyte: The Maxim (jap: Kiseijuu) is pretty good and my favorite from the current season is Sagrada Reset, but that one is not for everyone (it may very well be the first non-action, non-comedy anime in this thread).

For Manga my favorites are Liar's Game (Genre: psychological, the Liar's Game is a series of games where people have to trick each other in order to win lots of money while knowing that losing creates huge debts and those that can't pay their debts may or may not be sold to slavery) and Shaman King (I know there is an anime but it diverges massively during and after the America Arc. The Manga is just better).

Also I liked the first two parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, while it was a supernatural martial arts anime but dropped it during the Egypt arc once I got fed up with the Monster of the Week stuff. Should I continue watching? I really don't like the Monster of the Week genre, does it get better?